Register for the 2021 US e-Go Congress now!

Although I was disappointed with the AGA’s handling of the Remi Vs Tong city league case, I don’t think that means a strong anti-cheat policy is needed for this event. What’s important is clarity, consistency, and proportionality of punishment to offence (the lack of this was what shocked me most with Remi). So I think the following would be a perfectly acceptable and prudent anti-cheating policy for the main US online open event:

For this event we are not taking a strong approach to detect and prevent AI cheating. We hope that as it is a free event with no cash prizes people will not cheat, and trust them not to. We are not requiring the use of webcams as that can be a barrier to participation. The organisers are volunteers with limited time, not AI cheating detection experts so you can let us know if you think your opponent cheated but we can’t promise to do anything about it. Think carefully before accusing your opponent of cheating publicly, but doing so will not cause us to ban you and your friends from this or other events.

4 Likes