Request: Rules listed on OGS, as implemented

Yes, something like this! Though as the others have mentioned it does not list the rules as implemented on OGS. I’m also worried that phrases like “Dame negates territory of adjacent strings” may not be clear to everyone, especially newer players.

Another big concern I have is the accessibility of these rules. I didn’t know they existed on here until you linked them in this thread. I tried to find it myself, but this matrix is not so easy to get to. I went Community → Documentation & FAQ, which took me off the main site and onto GitHub. I then had to go to “Learning the Rules of Go” which took me to another GitHub page with a link back to OGS where I finally arrived at the matrix.

Hopefully there’s a more accessible way that I don’t know about!

4 Likes

Wait for someone to post a link to them in the forums

For the original rules, the matrix is in the OGS documentation. A liitle searching in sensei library will give more explaination if desired.

For how these rules are correctly implemented in OGS we miss a resume but most is supplied in this forum, use search.

1 Like

Quite so. An eye is actually a property of a chain relative to a group, and each chain in the group needs two eyes in the group for the group to be alive. See Formal Definitions of Eye at Sensei’s for a summary of Benson’s definition (that works) and examples of where people go wrong trying to define eyes of groups!

Perhaps we should advise beginners to “make sure your opponent cannot pick off a vital part of your group or capture it by playing inside it”, with examples.

1 Like