RGF vs the World Summary

Maybe, but you’re saying not being absolutely positive that absolutely all Russians are absolutely against Putin is shifting your view on treating Russian players as humans worthy of empathy and kindness, in the hands of a very bad person.

Should we make sure all Ukrainians have been in their best behavior before declaring they don’t deserve to be invaded by tanks?

2 Likes

I feel you’re twisting my words slightly.

1 Like

Person from over there says “people from way over there aren’t over here to talk about this”.

People next to over here are trying to say “we’ve been shell-shocked and traumatized, we’re not happy but it’s been hell here for some time now and it’s not better for next to just because over here is hell now”.

Person from over there “nah over here is worse and I can say so”.

I’m simplifying a bit, the exaggeration is to get my point across.

That’s what I got, but if I misunderstood all the better because it means you didn’t mean it like I understood it.

Unofficial voting results

Proposal: All EGF events in Russia to be canceled and reallocated.
Yes: 58 No: 4 Abstain: 2
Proposal: Russian players can’t represent Russia but can still participate in EGF events under a neutral banner (alike at Olympic Games), until further notice
Yes: 49 No: 8 Abstain: 7
Proposal: Suspension of RGF within EGF
Yes: 40 No: 20 Abstain: 4
Proposal: Exclusion of RGF from EGF
Yes: 7 No: 51 Abstain: 2
Proposal: Exclusion of Russian players from EGF events until further notice
Yes: 24 No: 32 Abstain: 8
Proposal: Exclusion of the RGF representative from the EGF executive board
Yes: 17 No: 17 Abstain: 32

Natalia announced she wants to retire as Executive Officer.
Strong discussion on whether Russian children can participate in EYGC online, a decision will be taken tomorrow.

16 Likes

The total number of votes is large than I expected, do bigger countries get more votes?

Wow this was the hardest vote?

I won’t go into a rant about what this will teach the children, but what I really mean is a rant.

2 Likes

https://www.eurogofed.org/egf/EGFGeneralRegulations2014.pdf article 6

EGF general regulations:

Article 6. Voting System
Gradual: 0-­40 members or EGF Member paying a reduced Annual Membership Subscription
Fee 1 vote, 40­-200 members 2 votes, 200­-500 members 3 votes, 500+ members 4 votes.

3 Likes

By the way, is voting public?

No

2 Likes

Even discussing the exclusion of children (!) seems immoral to me. What is their wrongdoing? Being Russian? Being slavs? Being whatever?
Children wtf!

7 Likes

Being on the wrong side of history.
That’s all this will teach them.

Same as the paralympic athletes.

Shame.

3 Likes

The EYGC will be held next week in Prague and the organizing country already announced a ban for Russian participants before the EGF meeting. I suppose that Czechia is especially sensitive about Russia’s current aggression in Europe as they have experienced Soviet opression for almost 50 years.

3 Likes

This misses the point. The exclusion of Russia from various international sports has never been based on personal wrongdoings. Certainly everybody knows children are innocent, but so are most adults Go players or athletes. The justification is a desire to isolate Russia on the world scene as a response to its actions.

Not saying it’s a good strategy, but in any case the lack of personal wrongdoings for children is not really relevant.

3 Likes

It’s easy to advocate for activism in a country that as a system like the house of commons, the house of lords, etc. You know what house we have? The house of people who don’t know what basic political terms like “democracy”, “political party”, etc, even mean. Because people gave up on all of that long before anyone in this thread was even born. Nobody here really follows anything politics. And we don’t have elections either. When they will stop being able to do all that you listed they will simply move to a different country if they can. If they can’t then that’s how they’re going to live from there on out, and projecting the western eagerness to activism isn’t going to change anything.

If you take the situation as of today then it’s still not even in top 5 of the dumb and dangerous things that he did.

This is just jumping topics for no reason to make a non-point. Also a hypocritic aftertaste coming from a brit who just a hundred years ago had controlled half of the world map and which has been achieved by the exact means that are currently causing the distress of the international community.

1 Like

This is the sort of whataboutism that gives me a bad aftertaste.
All countries in the world have done bad things. Is that a reason to shrug off anything bad that happens now and in the future?

5 Likes

This makes no sense, “a brit who just hundred years ago…”. There is no living Brit who has witnessed that, how is it hypocritical to point out something that your ancestors are also guilty of?

1 Like

Yes the reference to past British history was uncalled for, and completely incoherent with the rest of the comment.

That being said, overall I sympathize with the feeling of helplessness described by @esoka. I can’t really blame random Russians for feeling powerless.

3 Likes

EDIT: Wrong, plan was to allow Russians online before.

I think you are seeing exclusion, where in fact what is being discussed is a change from the status quo to allow their inclusion. AFAIK this EYGC is in-person rather than online, and the closing of airspace means logistically it is highly unlikely any Russian children will be there (unless they spend ages on a bus/train?). So to allow them to play online would be changing the rules to allow them to play online to overcome the current logistical problems of them attending in person (like Russia did with the WAGC due to covid).

The letter from the Czech go association did want to change from the status quo to exclude Russian players. I don’t know if they’d want to stick with that given the EGF vote against.

So the ‘do-nothing’ situation is the Russians are allowed to play in the EYGC, but don’t as they can’t get there.

4 Likes