“Sente - Online GO” App for Android

Just to clarify I don’t feel there’s any adversarial relationship, the mobile apps fill a need that OGS doesn’t have the resources to provide itself. Plus, there’s a lot of users that use both, so it’s not cannibalizing or adding undo extra support I don’t think, I think it’s great.

Anyways, re notifications, it’s one of those things where I’m probably making a mountain out of a mole hill a bit, but basically the complexity is that it’s not just a matter of slapping in the 5 lines of code or whatever it’ll take to actually send out the notification. It’s a matter of

1. Adding systems for device registration for a minimum of 3 platforms - Android, Apple, and web - which I’m not sure if there are sub cases for that or not. All of these take a bit of research.

2. While we’re at it, might as well add webhooks to help support the third party sites, or at least lay the groundwork for it.

3. Supporting multiple devices for each of those

4. Supporting multiple apps for each platform, or at least add the ground work for that

5. Supporting multiple player accounts per application, which will presumably share the same notification delivery address, which has some implications about how things are displayed and managed on our end.

6. Creating a UI to support device management and the notification controls that’s not exceedingly complex

7. Updating/revamping the notification system to control which notifications go to where and dealing with multiple platforms/devices per platform/player accounts per device.

8. Last time I worked with Apple Push Notifications you couldn’t just connect and send one message per connection if you were sending a lot of notifications, they wanted you to connect a small number of times and send lots of notifications per connection. This implies a very different pattern than we currently employ for delivering notifications so will require writing up a new service to deal with it.

9. Creating minimal apps on ios and android to test using multiple users on the same platform, registration, de-registration, re-registration, blocking and unblocking notifications, and whatever else a user may be able to do.

10. Navigate adding whatever app keys to the appropriate places so things work for production, beta, and ideally development if apple/android/web will work from a development environment. (If it’s only on beta, that slows down the development cycle a lot)

11. Whatever else I don’t know that I don’t know and learn along the way.

12. The 5 lines of code to actually send out the push notification.

So I view it as a bit of a notable undertaking. Certainly doable and something that we want done, but it hasn’t made it to the top of the big-project-todo list yet.

5 Likes