“Sente - Online GO” App for Android

Don’t worry I grew up watching Rete 4, Italia 1 and Canale 5, as many Romanians in my generation did.

I see it the second time you’ve tried it you are indeed running out of memory on your phone due to some inefficiencies in my app. I’ll try to fix it.

Thanks… not very lucky in that respect, but hey, that means more 2AM sessions of coding with the little one in the baby carrier. I mean, I can’t really go out or chat with somebody at that hour and how many shows can I watch, right?

Some chinese phones have that issue, but I can’t really reproduce it and so it’s hard for me to fix it :expressionless:

2 Likes

Yes…

My phone is Chinese (Pocophone X3 Pro).

Left: dark mode, Right: normal mode

1 Like

It’s an annoying thing called “adjust text and background when in dark mode”. Here’s how it looks in MIUI. Turn it off.
It screws with a lot of apps.
By the way I have the same phone.

2 Likes

Thank you @esoka.

I tried your way but it doesn’t work. I unmarked this option and the app works in a similar way.

I tried, after unmarked this option, restarting the phone but it still doesn’t work.

What about the option above that one? Maybe I confused them.

Yeah, I tried both of them and no one did work.

This is strange. It fixed the same issue for me with tsumego pro and go4go.
Then I’m out of suggestions.

yeah…More than strange…I disabled this two options…I am using also Tsumego Pro and it doesn’t work too …
Maybe it depends on the version of Miui…Mine is Global 12.5.5

Mine is 12.5.6 but I had the same issue on my old phone which had version 11.
I see that your screenshots come out dimmed. The option that fixed the apps for me had also fixed the dimmed screenshots. Maybe you could google for a solution to that

Hi folks,

New version is out. It has:

• a pretty major rewrite of all the game logic so that it is less memory-intensive (when I wrote that part back in 2015 I could not conceive of somebody having 1.5k games). As a result, older phones or users with lots of games should see the app crashing a lot less and generally be a lot more responsive. Sadly, this introduces the possibility of game logic bugs. I’ve done my best to think of all the scenario I could imagine (weird KOs, free placement handicaps, etc) but there might have been things I missed. Please let me know if you find anything.
  • you can now start analysis from a previous state of the game, not just the latest move. (shout out to @teapoweredrobot )
  • some bugfixes for the AI game.

@_Sofiam could you please try again when you have the time (possibly from a new install) and let me know if it crashes for you now?

2 Likes

This is amazing! Thank you!
I hate to sound ungrateful but I just tried it out on my latest finished game and it doesn’t work because analysis disabled still applies to everything except the last move. Hopefully that’s an easy fix.
But when it works it’s marvellous.

1 Like

ah, you mean the game had the flag “analysis disabled”? didn’t think of that one :slight_smile: I probably need to ignore that flag if the game is over…

2 Likes

Yeah, exactly that!

Fixed (in the next version). Thanks for the report!

1 Like

Yes! I’ve done a few tests and, although it’s very slow (about 30 seconds to submit a move, a bit less to open a game, it freezes whatever i try to do), it works! It can be my phone’s fault.

Thank you :blue_heart:

I can’t tell you what happens with 1500 games though, I have 780 now and I don’t plan to start new games

2 Likes

New version is out.

• You can now analyse finished games regardless of the “disable analysis” flag
  • Fixed an issue with KO detection during analysis
  • Fixed some issues with Joseki Explorer
  • Fixed some scoring issues (particularly under Chinese rules)
  • Minor bugfixes
  • Performance improvements

As always, constructive feedback is welcome!

2 Likes

Turns out that ever since the rewrite from 3 weeks ago the scoring (stone removal) phase is broken to the point of being unusable in the app. Thanks for @teapoweredrobot for pointing it out and helping me reproduce the issues.

I have now released a version that should behave almost the same as the website.

As always, constructive feedback is welcome!

4 Likes

1 Like

@_Sofiam what were you doing? The app is working for me at the moment (opening, moving, etc but I’ve not finished a game yet so I don’t know if the scoring phase is wonky or not!)

That’s what I see every time I open the app after about 20 seconds when I can’t do anything. If I click ok then it seems to work normally but the text says “please report this error” and I did :slight_smile:

1 Like