“Sente - Online GO” App for Android

Actually I think that they are in fact working. I must have been checking at wrong times and getting mixed up with the polling time. But for the most part it seems to be working. If I come up with any more weird behavior, I’ll shoot another reply forward. Thanks again for creating this app. It’s a huge help to people on the road

1 Like

Hi Mr Alex

Thanks again for all the effort you put into this.

I would like to see in the stats page of my opponent:

Win / loss ratio
Last 10 games w/l
Highest achieved rank ever (if possible )
Strongest opponent beaten

You could place a link to the full stats page to view in browser… but with the info above i reckon it would be an overplay :wink:

2 Likes

Just found out that when jn analyse mode, you can break the ko-rule. It is not possible to place stones suicidally but in a ko you can capture back before playing somewhere else.
Also as someone said before, move numbers are superimposed on each other.
Probably a minor thing but i just wanted to report it here.

1 Like

@MrAlex

Just downloaded the app, its slick, minimalistic and awesome, so huge props.

One of my favorite aspects of OGS is being able to play custom games with Fischer time controls and New Zealand rules – I wasn’t able to find a way to create a game under these parameters, but it would be really awesome if it was possible.

1 Like

That already sounds like a victory. I’ve been using the app for months to play moves in games that I have started from my computer; so far I have never ever managed to create a game from the app.

I’m glad you like it!

Thank you for the feedback. For the moment, there is a conscious decision not to support too many parameters for the games. The website IMHO supports too many of these niche things and I would the app to be simpler to use. Even as simplified as it is, some users can’t find some of the most basic features (such as starting a new game) as exemplified by @ArsenLapin1 Just imagine if I add more buttons and more dials in there how much harder would it be. Plus any new feature has a maintenance cost over time that simply I can’t afford.

There is a bug with the “[open offer]” kind of new game (which is something I didn’t want to implement either so somebody else did). It sometimes works, it sometimes doesn’t… I’ll try to have a look and fix it, but in the meantime auto-match (and challenging a specific player) definitely work.

1 Like

But note that automatch is called “play online” in the app and challenging a specific player is done through “custom game”

1 Like

New version coming up today. Most relevant changes:

· Added a countdown timer on top of the last move marker when playing live and you’re in the last 10 seconds of your time (or byo-yomi period).
· Fixed a bug where forced dame points (tapping inside one’s territory) were not showing up correctly in the app. (i.e. this issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments/wpp1oi/comment/ikpp3rs/?context=3 )
· Fixed a bug in which looking for a game (aka AutoMatch) would not show up on the main screen.
· Fixed a bug in which the app behaved weirdly after logging out. Logging out now forcefully restarts the app.
· Disabled Facebook log in as it stopped working for Android 12 and up.
· Added a couple more stats to the game’s player details dialog. One of them is the percentile, which means the percentage of OGS users who are rated lower than you. More to come.
· Fixed some issues with Analysis mode.

4 Likes

Well, it “definitely works” in the sense that it successfully displays the “searching for an opponent” message. But it “definitely doesn’t work” in the sense that I’ve never been able to start a game with it.

Uh, what? I remember specifically complaining in this thread, more than once, that the main issue with your app was that it did not implement the “join an open challenge” feature from OGS. I never had an issue finding a feature that was implemented.

So what I do is I start games from the OGS website on my computer. Because I can’t start a game from your app. That’s not an issue of too many features. That’s an issue of not enough features.

Well you can start a game via automatch and you can issue a new custom challenge that shows up on the open challenge list on the website and can be accepted as normal there and you can issue a personal challenge to a specific user.

You can’t see the list of custom challenges and join one of those from the app but other ways to start games are available.

No, I cannot. I can click the automatch button, and then read a book while the app tells me it’s looking for a game, but no game will start.

Or I can go to the OGS website, and start a game from there. That works.

That’s weird because I just tried it and got a match straight away. Maybe a specific bug with your phone/Android version or some such? I’m no expert on these things so I don’t know what is useful to @MrAlex to get to the bottom of the issue you are seeing.

I assume it might be that no other player of my rank is using the automatch. So the automatch is never a viable option.

On the other hand, many players of my rank are creating challenges, and I can see and join those challenges from the website.

1 Like

Ah ok, so does automatch not work for you on the website either?

In which case have you tried opening a challenge from the app? Or are the settings the app uses too unappealing to players looking at the custom challenge list?

I don’t see this? Is alpha_b475 the latest release?

Have you looked in the in game player details? Not the “stats” button on the home page.

2 Likes

I had not. Neat. :+1:

2 Likes

Anybody else’s “Next Game” button broken (for finished games)? Not a big deal but thought i should raise it here if reproducible

ezgif-5-7e52c8b88b

2 Likes

Hey man, thanks for pointing that out. I think it’s a case of me not disabling that button when there are no games to go to? I’ll have a look at it in the next few days.

In the meantime, new version coming out. Turns out the app does not work nicely on Android 13 devices (in particular they have no notifications whatsoever) so I issued a hotfix with the following:

• Android 13 notifications now work (the user is asked on the first use of the app but after logging in)
  • Android 13 themed icons (aka monochrome icons) are now supported. If you have the theme enabled it will be the same color as all the other icons
  • fixed a few minor crashes.

4 Likes

Very possible, I just tried again with games in my queue, the button seemed to work properly this time :slight_smile:

2 Likes