Story Behind Your Username and/or Profile Pic?

What an interesting thread. ty @RubyMineshaft

Story Behind ‘Kosh’…

Kosh is an enigmatic character from the Sci-Fi series ‘Babylon 5’ of which I am obviously a fan, though Kosh is not my favorite character. So why ‘Kosh’…

Very, very early in my Go journey I came across the famous quote by Edward Lasker:

and the idea of Aliens playing Go appealed to me enormously. I find beauty in the idea of crossing interstellar space in generational ships or years of cryo and then sharing a game of Go at the other end with a complete stranger completely alien being. :smiley: The day may come when we need to reach for the stars simply to survive but what’s the point of that without something to appreciate in life.

If the Vogons had played Go maybe they wouldn’t have destroyed the Earth. If the Formics played Go maybe we would have spared them. I like to think so.

Still, there are many aliens that would make sense as a Go playing avatar, not least this guy: Go Memes! 🧐 - #1505 by Kosh and I’m sure Emperor Palpatine honed his political skills on the Goban. So why ‘Kosh’? Simple; Kosh is already an avatar, a mask for the being within which is never fully revealed throughout the series. Using the name of Kosh reminds me daily to be thoughtful in what I post or comment. I say much more than Kosh would and I fear I play much worse than Kosh would but the use of the name allows me to aspire. :alien:

16 Likes