Story-telling aka "The grandpa thread"

A title

Perhaps this thread should be called “The grandpa (story-telling) thread” or “Creating Writing Thread”?

Just a suggestion, and since this entire thread is all about creative expression, I don’t want to impose my will by changing the thread title unilaterally.

A story

I wrote a little story about the characters in a riddle here:

It’s a form a constrained writing where I tried to deviate unexpectedly from the prompt. It also spoils the riddle (in case you care about that).

A suggestion

A bunch of us have been playing werewolf games in this forum over the past few months. It seems that there is a lot of interest in the role play and collaborative story telling aspects of that game, and this thread further shows that there is a lot of interest in general creative writing.

I was thinking that it would be interesting if we played a sort of role playing game that was all just about collaborative story telling. Instead of being limited by the rigid mechanics of something like werewolf, we could just focus on the improvisational and role playing aspects of the game. Further, instead of just free form creative writing, this new game would be about telling a cohesive story with each player helping to develop and choose the actions of a character (and possibly of some supporting characters as well).

This game could kind of be like Dungeons and Dragons (DnD), and led by a game master (which could also possibly rotate among multiple people) to help set the scene, manage a supporting cast, and prompt the story development. However, diverging from DnD, we could abandon all of the formal mechanics (dice rolling, rulebooks, character sheets, numbers, etc.) and play in a more free-form, improvisational manner. Of course, it would not have to be set within a fantasy setting either.

What do you all think?

7 Likes