Stronger dan players on OGS?

Anyone not DDK would give me 9 stones.

I’d honestly stop playing if I was forced to play like that. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

But what if I want to play an even game, but am not super picky about who I play against? Which is normally what I want.

I guess you would have to make a custom game.

OGS is currently a bit of a ‘people pleaser’. I don’t think it’s a good trait. Like I said, other servers severely limit the automatch options for good reasons.

1 Like

Also compared to other servers, OGS ranks are tough. People who can maintain 3-4d on some other servers may have only 1-2k ranks here, so their games simply won’t appear as strong ://

easy fix for that one, lets just bump everyones rank up few stones^

3 Likes

Then let’s do that for dan players only.

So customizing something to the dans specifically… :roll_eyes:

Git gud

Well there is a wish to attract them more

Some critical thinking in the process would be nice.

Ok tell me what would go wrong if automatch including a dan player would select by default handicap games? I’m not sure that will not fit the taste of middle range sdk players.

Automatch already selects handicap games by default anyway. For all players.

@MootoYouToo’s position was to make it compulsory, which I don’t really support.

3 Likes

I don’t like games with more than 3 handicap stones, so my automatch settings are ±3 ranks.

4 Likes

You ll be happy here, many years i didn’t see a higher handicap game as 3 (4 once maybe?)

2 Likes

I don’t see a point in an automatch that tries to please everybody, when there is a redundant overlap with the custom lobby. I think the goal should be to provide a very limited set of options to increase confidence in finding a game quickly.

A separate discussion is whether those more limited choices should have handicap enabled. I stick to my original point that it would help with attracting stronger dan players.

All players would still have custom games for choosing the options they like best. Players could also restrict the rank range so as to automatch with people around their level to avoid handicap.

2 Likes

The handicap setting does not create two different pools of players though. Players who don’t want handicap game can still be automatched with people who are ok with it, if they are at the same level.

If those players were forced not to use automatch, that would simply reduce its usefulness for all players (even those who are ok with handicaps).

1 Like

Also, can’t you already set automatch preferences to don’t care, thus improving your queue times?

Some people may have high rank because fuseki experiments. So forced handicaps basically means not full version of Go. True level of fuseki knowledge of people will be ignored.

2 Likes

I would just say that stronger find more their fun in some challenge, and are not so interested in easy games. So their preference for handicap if there is no “win a tournament” or “be at the top of a ladder”.

@stone.defender, I dunno which version is more limited, you better be good at fuseki and at handicap, not just fuseki.

1 Like

That’s the network effect for ya :sweat_smile:

Ohp @Jon_Ko beat me to it! One day I’ll learn to read

2 Likes

But would you think like that if handicaps had been on by default ever since Nova merged with old OGS? That’s why I think getting this default right years ago would have been so much better than changing it now: it sets a culture and expectations of normality in people’s minds which is hard to reverse. Same point as Make "analysis disabled" the default (poll) - COMING SOON! - #252 by Uberdude

1 Like