“the best place to play go online!” yeah right

I imagine the thing about not hosting weak bots is that it probably isn’t obvious how to go about doing it. If someone commits to doing it I’m sure they could find out.

I imagine a checklist of things you might go through before committing to doing it.

1. Do I need to make an ai myself or can I just find a weak open source ai somewhere
  2. If I have the ai, what kind of software does it need to run if for example I wanted to play it myself on the computer vs if it needs to play on ogs with other people
  3. How do I get it to communicate with ogs
  4. Do I need to leave that computer on all the time
  5. How do I set up the ai’s account on ogs

I think if you’re unsure about some of these it might seem like a very difficult task to set up an ai account. It can seem simple to some people but impossible to others.

If there isn’t one already, maybe it would be a good idea to have a tutorial and faq for hosting ai accounts on ogs, maybe written by a mod or someone who currently administers some of the bots already on ogs?

I’ve seen some comments on this post here:
Steps to connect with a bot
that are useful, but not sure if there is a tutorial?

If there is a tutorial made up, then you could have it as a kind of request to current users, put up a pinned post on the forum or maybe one of those small banners on the site for a day or so, asking for interest in hosting some weaker bots.

Just some ideas, if it does happen to be a frequently requested feature.

1 Like