The Heartbroken Go Player

Alright, happy family again.

I don’t think we can be treated with such courtesy in any other forum.

2 Likes

Thank you @Kosh!

I hope you won’t mind if I choose both brevity and clarity in my response: I am grateful for this speedy and gracious resolution.

Also, I have added a brief update of the resolution to the original posts for new readers.

If any of the parties directly involved would like to discuss further via private message, I am available. Please do reach out.

8 Likes

Maybe you should pick up writing and write about your games.

14 Likes

While I would be happy for this thread to die a quiet death in the forums void, one clarification should be made out of simple fairness.

slowcamp’s opponent filed an ambiguous report that brought my attention to the game. Nothing more. He/she neither contacted me directly nor specifically requested annulment. Any moderator could have claimed the report. All errors of judgement in this case are my own.

6 Likes

I didn’t click ‘like’ on Kosh’s post only because I don’t think “error of judgement” is the right way to look at it.

Moderators make calls with the information available, always with the goal of fair play and best outcome for the community.

The fantastic thing about this thread, this forum and our moderators is that appeals are dealt with courteously and open-mindedly.

9 Likes

Thank you, @S_Alexander, that’s very kind! I’ve considered a simple blog once or twice. Maybe I should reconsider.

@Kosh,
I apologize that my statement regarding this was incorrect. Unlike on the game board, I didn’t have perfect information about what communication had taken place, and I made a bad assumption. Again I’m sorry if my misunderstanding and statements about that was unfair to anyone.

1 Like

@Kosh
As stated in the intro, I really have enjoyed the past year of playing on OGS. Prior to the events of this post, I had often considered becoming an OGS supporter. Given the positive resolution of this misunderstanding (through open communication), and the fact that I now hope to continue playing on OGS, I’ve decided this is an opportune time to actually become an OGS supporter/subscriber.

This thread ended up being a lot more controversial than I intended. I want to take a moment and again apologize to both the moderators and my opponent for my role in the misunderstanding. I made a sincere effort to be accurate in my initial post in this thread, but on a couple statements I fell short of that goal by portraying my own misunderstandings as fact. Just like a tenuous position on the Go board, Skillful communication is a tricky thing to get right.

I hope it’s clear to all involved, that while I was processing strong emotions (perhaps over-dramatically), I have no ill will towards anyone.

13 Likes

Thanks for sharing. It’s especially egregious for a moderator to dismiss a game for a supposed time control offense when both players agreed to the time controls.

2 Likes

I understand it may seem strange at first, but unfortunately it is not that simple.

Unlike for example chess, there is no definite end to the game of Go, and with most time controls having some sort of overtime, a player who does not want to give up a lost game can drag the game on virtually endlessly, and still be technically playing within the agreed upon time controls and rules. This is sometimes misused to cheat or at least annoy players, and is something we are trying to combat a bit in this way.

So while the above case was mijdudged, I completely stand by the general principle, and sort of assume most people would too. Go should not (in my opinion) be about who has the patience to wait out their opponent in a clicking game with no strategy… Even though it might still fit the time controls :slight_smile:

10 Likes

TBH, I think it’s egregious to dig this thread up again.

It’s also egregious to accuse moderators, in general, of egregious behaviour. They are human, they can make mistakes, and they have difficult calls to make on an ongoing basis.

What we can observe is that our moderators are generally humble about their decisions, and open to input. As demonstrated in this thread.

Maybe one day there will be egregious behaviour by a moderator - anything is possible - but this certainly wasn’t a case of that.

10 Likes

I am sure poster was using the ARCHAIC form :innocent:

10 Likes

Oh DOH! … my mistake. I stand corrected. Etc etc

:smiley:

5 Likes

What? Wait! Is “egregious” something negative in English??? :astonished:

4 Likes

Interesting.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/egregius#Latin

3 Likes

I think it acquired negative connotation by its constant use in courtrooms and disciplinary boards about “egregious behaviour” meaning something totally beyond the norms and rules, and it has now a negative tint like the word “notorious”.

And I predict all these ending up being moved in the “language learner’s” topic :slight_smile:

6 Likes

In a thread like this I can imagine that mods are hesitant to do that. :grin:

3 Likes

Clearly you don’t realize that OGS sent an email highlighting this thread on Fri, Jun 25, 9:58 PM (20 hours ago).

I didn’t dig this thread up, discourse@forums.online-go.com did.

1 Like

There seems to be confusion. There are only so many intersections on a Go board. Go has a definite end upon which no more moves may be made. Whereas Chess has the potential for pieces to be moved around indefinitely with no end.

If there is a problem, it is in the player agreeing to time controls that they they would renege. Absolute time is available.

2 Likes

Posting in an almost 2 week thread isn’t diging it up? lol

3 Likes

I just want to say that I appreciate that we don’t have an anti-necrobump culture here.