Through the Years: Long Correspondence

But they can also cheat in a short correspondence tournament when day see he slept then suddenly pause and unpause he won’t have the whole three days and lossed by timeout

1 Like

Oh, so sometimes the “initial” time is longer than the main time you get? That is quite problematic indeed.

2 Likes

@Tokumoto No I have no skills whatsoever in this kind of coding, sorry. Or in any kind of coding, in fact.

Oh well… You can read those pages with your browser, pick up win/loss/ongoing manually, and take a note yourself. Some effort would inevitably be needed :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it is only like that in a blitz game. In a short correspondence game I think it is more that their main time would go down instead of their other time.

1 Like

@Tokumoto I’m lazy, yes indeed. :slight_smile:

What happens when a player is kicked off by time-out of one of his games? Are his other games in the group taken into account? Not sure the question is clear, it’s unclear in my head also.

1 Like

Maybe this thread can be helpful

2 Likes

I bet weekend pause also stops the clocks. If I were smarter I’d put the starting date just before the weekend.

2 Likes

It is, thanks!

1 Like

So I just created a tournament viewer for this tournament (since the OGS tournament page is hard on our browsers):

https://runarberg.github.io/ogs-tournament-viewer/?player=runarberg

You should change the player in the query string from runarberg to your username (e.g. ?player=S_Alexander) to view your group.

This only shows the group that you are in, meaning way less load on the browser.

Regrettably this doesn’t work in Firefox because of CORS issues in the API (Make sure you don’t have a browser add-on that is blocking the requests :blush:). It is also really minimalist, but I’ll see about adding more features during the weekend (like navigating between groups in a landing page, color coding wins, score, etc.)

Contributions are welcome at https://github.com/runarberg/ogs-tournament-viewer

Enjoy

16 Likes

I wonder why there was one 3-player group created? The tournament settings say that the minimum group size should be 5, so I thought that the system would have made two 9-player groups in order to lend a couple players to the last group, so that it could have at least 5.

2 Likes

Or 7 groups of 9 ?

2 Likes

@runarberg very neat, thx!

It doesn’t work for me.
I am supposed to use your same url but with a different username at the end, right?

Like so:
https://runarberg.github.io/ogs-tournament-viewer/?player=Lys

If I do it in my browser (Samsung or Chrome on Android) I get an empty page.
If I click on the above link it works though! Weird! :astonished:

1 Like

Make sure you use capital letters if they’re in your username, perhaps that’s what went wrong.

1 Like

It can take some time.

It actually wasn’t working for my own go to browser (firefox) because Privacy Badger was blocking the API requests to the online-go API. So make sure that you don’t have any browser plugins that might block it.

Also like @S_Alexander said, it can take some time. Even though the browser is doing less work, I still have to download a pretty large JSON file and do some initial work. It take around 1–2 seconds on a decent PC and a fast connection. I would give it up to ten seconds on an older phone and a slow 3G connection.

I haven’t implemented any loading indicator or error message, so you will see an empty page for any of the following reasons a) we are loading the data, b) loading the data failed (e.g. user does not exist), or c) the page isn’t working in your browser. I know it’s a terrible UX, but I spent less then an afternoon making it, so perhaps things will improve :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your effort, @runarberg !
It’s great that you can do this in an afternoon. This code can be adapted to many other purposes when modified.

1 Like

If I click on the link in my previous message it works fine and in less than a second.
If I copypaste it in my browser it doesn’t.
If I then refresh the page, sometimes it works.

I think it should be something on my side but I can’t imagine what. Anyway, now I have a workaround, so don’t mind.
Thank you for your work.

1 Like