Through the Years: Long Correspondence

5 Likes

• 343 games left, 393 players involved
  • 17 games completed
  • 1 player disqualified
  • 16 players completed all their games
  • 1 group completed all its games

Since @ChrisW was asking in the tournament’s chat, here is a quick breakdown of games ended by scoring:

Minimum score is obviously 0.5 points, with 59 games so far.
Most frequent score is 2.5, with 78 games.

5 Likes

• 334 games left, 384 players involved
  • 9 games completed
  • 1 player disqualified, 2 resigned
  • 9 players completed all their games
  • 2 groups completed all their games

Almost every new completed game is the last game of one player.
This sounds very “the end is nigh” for me :smiley: even though the present average rate of completed games is about 1 game/day, so it would take about a year to complete the remaining 334 games… and we know that such rate is decreasing through time…

7 Likes

• 318 games left, 364 players involved
  • 16 games completed
  • 3 players disqualified
  • 20 players completed all their games, one of them with 9 wins
  • 5 groups completed all their games

8 days since last update.

• 310 games left, 352 players involved
  • 8 games completed
  • 1 player disqualified
  • 12 players completed all their games, one of them with 9 wins
  • 6 groups completed all their games

5 Likes

Will we get under 300 by Thanksgiving ?

4 Likes

Yes, it’ll be under that by Thanksgiving since average right now is about 1 game completing per day and 300 remaining games should be only ~10 days away. Extrapolating that out way out, and assuming that average completions continue to slow, I wonder if the first round will complete by end of 2022. Not sure what odds to give it though.

3 Likes

6 days since last update.

• 301 games left, 341 players involved
  • 9 games completed
  • 2 players disqualified
  • 11 players completed all their games, one of them with 9 wins

We are now at 301.
Under 300 in a day or two.

I’m keeping my simulations updated.
As you can see in the chart below, tournament trend is slower of both 2nd degree polynomial and logarithmic.
The capacitor curve seems still quite accurate but, according to it, it’ll take until may 2023 to reach the maximum of games which is 9850, so way less than 10038 (which is the tournament total)

I wonder what will happen in the meanwhile. Probably we’ll see an increase in timeouts which will lead us to the total of games completed.

6 Likes

• 289 games left, 330 players involved
  • 12 games completed
  • 1 player disqualified
  • 11 players completed all their games, one of them with 9 wins

7 Likes

Hm, the number of competed games per player (25 %) shows 6 , however that disagrees with the game performance row for 2 completed games which has 8. I suppose some players didn’t get 9 games in that row or there is something that didn’t process properly ?

I only see 6 though. so I think the Games Performance diagram is incorrect

That’s right: there’s a single group with 3 players. Each one of them got only 2 games in first round.

So there are 3 players with 2 completed games each, with 100% of completed games (2 wins, 1 win 1 loss, 2 losses).

Those 6 players have 2 completed games out of 9, which is 22%, and they are all in the orange dot, together with one of the above (the only one with 2 wins).

Does that fit?

1 Like

Yeah, I see now, they have ended their ascension through the games performance chart on the 2 completed games line, so that when the round is over there will be still 1 in the 0, 1 and 2 won games columns on that row. But since they are in the 100% completed column in the other chart, that 2 completed games row is the top for that group like the 9 completed games for everyone else.

1 Like

Do we have a list of the top (bottom?) slowest players? :sunglasses:

<edit> OK, I’ll admit that I just want to know whether it’s me :grimacing: </edit>

6 Likes

Well, you already know how many games left do you have, so you know where you are in this chart:

I removed 3 players from the “2 completed games” row, because they have completed all their games.
The red arrow shows the direction for slowest players.

Moreover, if you look at this webpage
https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/luigi.galieni/viz/OGS-Throughtheyearstournament/OGS-ThroughtheYearsLongCorrespondence
you’ll find an interactive version of the same chart.

Just click on “Performance” in the top bar

then hover with your mouse over the dots to see player’s names and here you are!

This is based only on number of games.
I didn’t count moves so far, so I can’t make a chart about move count.
I wonder if that could be a good idea, though, since I really wouldn’t challenge slow players to be even slower!

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s really fair to characterize any of the players as being “slow” at this point (unless they are literally sitting with the game paused for many months).

With a timing of +1 week per move, it is completely natural for games to have progressed to less than 100 moves at this point.

Really, what should be saying is that many have played rather “fast”.

6 Likes

I have a game that’s still on move 82 (my last one for this round)

4 Likes

I don’t mean to complain or to do public shaming. I like this tournament and enjoy studying it.

That said, I think that’s exactly now that we can fairly say which games were fast and which are progressing slowly.
Out of 10038 games, less than 300 are still in progress. They can’t be said other than “the slowest games” in that pool.

Out of 2233 players, just 330 are still playing.
There’s 1903 of us which have been “quicker”.
I think it’s fair enough.

I hope one day I’ll see the end of this round! :grin:

5 Likes

It’s fair but a bit misplaced to express a lack of patience. I mean a big part of statistics and comments turn around when the round will finish which i hope don’t put pressure on players taking their allowed time.

For us not so young players a crucial question this thread helps to figure, if not answer, is how many rounds can we hope to be able to play in our shorter and shorter life expectancy. Sure enough, I will not see the end of it, I knew that from the very beginning. But I would be happy to play at least the further round and maybe the next one. Call that impatience, yes, sort of. Guilty as charged. :innocent:

9 Likes

• 279 games left, 322 players involved
  • 10 games completed
  • 1 player disqualified
  • 8 players completed all their games
  • 1 groups completed all its games

The top leaderboard ranks were getting crowded, so I had to keep just 9-points players.

5 Likes