Too many Go servers?

@yebellz
:merman:t2:
Just toss Neptune

8 Likes

You can unselect bot choice in goquest

2 Likes
OT

@yebellz I actually expected a pedantic reply about how the pitchfork has usually 4 prongs and is slightly curved because it has certain uses, while the trident has 3 prongs and is straight because it’s a spear variation. I feel robbed. :cry:

5 Likes

:violin:

3 Likes

sigh … I just can’t resist …

:nerd_face: :face_with_monocle:

Well, actually … there are plenty of modern and historic examples of pitchforks with three straight prongs. I think the major distinguishing feature is that tridents are typically barbed, while pitchforks are not, due to the different intended uses, i.e., fishing or combat vs lifting and pitching loose material.

Edit: also, I’m surprised that a Greek would say Neptune instead of Poseidon.

6 Likes

3 pronged pitchfork.

1 Like

EDIT, RE: Neptune

Usually nobody knows Poseidon, so sometimes I just use the Hollywood names. :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

I don’t know if it’s universally the case, but I think, in the USA at least, the Greek names are also well known, if not even more so than the Roman names. The Greek names feel more familiar to me (in terms of automatically recognizing which Gods they refer to), while the Roman names mainly just sound like planets.

I think it may have to do with some popular movies and TV shows revolving around Greek mythology

Along with countless adaptations of Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey.

Sorry for further dragging this thread way off-topic. If the mods want to split it, I suggest “More ridiculous and pointless pedantry from yebellz” as the new topic name.

2 Likes

I think Hercules* and Xena are Australian New Zealand productions, but I’m not sure.

*Pedantry: It’s actually pronounced “Iraklis” but nobody recognizes it, so we settle for Hercules. :woman_shrugging:t2: And it’s probably usually known as Ulysses, not Odysseas, although it’s Odyssey.

Unless people become unpleasant, it’s not a hill I choose to die on, Greek or Latin names. :slight_smile:

What I said is based on my personal experience (and some not-so-pleasant altercations on the internet). If you say the Greek names are more known than the Roman ones in USA, I believe you and I’ll take it into consideration next time. :slight_smile:

I suggest “Trident (not the chewing gum) pedantry”, so we are more specific. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I believe they were filmed in New Zealand, but they were definitely widely shown on American television and fairly well known here.

I’m not really sure if it’s a widely held view in the USA, but at least that’s my personal perspective as someone that watched a lot of the Hercules and Xena TV shows, which probably messed up a lot of pronunciations, but at least they seemed to try to adhere the Greek names.

4 Likes

I think they still run reruns on Greek TV as well. :slight_smile:

Actually, I think I’ll make it the next meme fad. :smiling_imp:

Some, some not. It’s really usually whatever prevailed, either because of pronunciation or because of some prominent work of art. I can offer some pedantry, if requested. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Personally, I never had to wait for a game for so long on Pandanet. However, on OGS, the waiting time reaches 5 minutes is extremely rare and almost never exceeds this value.

Hercules is more well known than Heracles (or Iraklis) in the US, but Odysseus is also more well known than Ulysses (my first thought with Ulysses is Ulysses S. Grant).

But also the gods themselves are better known by their greek counterparts than roman here

3 Likes

It depends on what sort of game you are looking for. I look for even games at 30 min + 30sec time limit. It’s quicker to get an even game now that my rank has dropped from 6k to 8k, but the 5 mins I quoted was not “rare”, it was normal.

“Long” time setting is always on all servers harder to get.

1 Like

I tossed Neptune.

:trident:

4 Likes

also depends on rank: see “why don’t we have live games with dans?”

1 Like

“Iraklis”: A typical case of Iotacism…? :thinking:
Iotacism

1 Like

According to iotacism, ancient Greek sheep would have sounded “vee vee” instead of “bae bae” [βῆ βῆ] in a comedy by Kratinos! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I am also a Linux user (since 96) and KGS and IGS were also my only options…
what I meant is just what I said, many options were Windows only.