Oh, hi. I just saw this topic.
I will try to add some info from the perspective of Polish Championship organizer (2018 and 2019).
Resources of the organizers are always limited and we must choose where we spend them. Mainly time. We already manage a webpage for current (and past) Championship: http://mp.go.art.pl/2019/en/results with links to every game on OGS. And we also automated some work there so it’s easy to add links and results.
Putting a post on forum and updating it is another work to be done. Is it worth it? Let’s look.
In 2018 in some rounds we were asked by the moderator to consolidate the notifications in forum post to not spam users with notifications (a valid concern). If I remember correctly - posts about round 5 and 7 in 2018 were then highlighted in notifications. Post about round 6 wasn’t. Difference in the engagement from users (links clicks) is huge. Post from 2016 by Revar_Isave is really well written and formatted. And also has almost no engagement.
Number of people participating on forum is just too low (for us at least) to justify spending time on promoting events here. Sorry.
The new feature - listing important games at the top of the list of games - is in my opinion really nice for the discoverability of interesting events happening at the current time. (It works in a similar way on KGS - and always brought a lot of audience to relays). It’s then just one click away to watch the game. I can easily go back to them, switch between them, etc. Linking a post on forum with links to games adds another step there. I’m not sure if it’s a good thing.
Events like national championship are generally targeted towards more local audience. For example, I will gladly see some games from them, IF I just saw them in notification or on top of list of games. But I will probably forget about them if I see an announcement ob the forum beforehand.
This year we were trying to promote hard on FB as a leading social platform and it worked pretty well. Could we do more? Especially in more go-related forums and places? Definitely. It’s even in our post-tournament retrospection that we missed that
Having said that, do I think notifications etc can be improved? Of course
Exactly as @BHydden said - when people started using OGS to relay events - we quickly adapted a solution of server-wide announcements to promote games And it’s showing now with more relays that it has outgrown its use.
- I think OGS is a great platform for relays.
- Splitting server-wide announcements from promoting games seems like a great feature.
- I already subscribed to ticket #879 and will try to chime in there.
- List of important games at the top of game list is a great feature. It would be probably even better to have some boards marked as “relay” and have them at the top of https://online-go.com/observe-games preferably with a title.
- Policy for organizers is a must have. I fell partially responsible for missing this, as I wanted to start a discussion about that after PGC2018 but, well, I didn’t do it
- We have some other ideas for improvements for game relays and organizers, but as they are really off-topic here, I will try to share them soon in other topic.