Try to live challenge?

In theory from my weak memory (maybe in secret chronicle of handicap go?) Between 2 players of same strength, black get 140 (or 120?) and white 20 with a Japanese 9 stones. So not really supposed to die.

Another interesting balance (same book?) is 60% defense 40% attack for black to play. (Not trying to kill ofc) That means that you have to be careful to not consider that a 100% attack strategy later, after this variant and back to a normal 9 hp game, is the best way to win, and 100% defense is not good too (see same book). Usually the excess of defense is more the problem, 40% is still a considerable part often too neglected and asking black to take white and kill can improve the spirit of the weaker player in his handicap games.
In years 90’s in one of the french summer camp, I gave deep night lectures for DDK (around 2-3am). I had a dictionary of handicap go so one time we studied a bit deeply how to resist some white intimidations with some kind of complex side josekis. I was aware that it was too much but they were really hypnotized. Next day, I got “complains” from other teachers about what did I teach them last night, they play so brave now!

I saw 9k losing against Dan in that club variant but I put it more on a psychologic side as the real (forgotten) abilities at 9k.

4 Likes