Tsumego theory question

Me again.

We have this

where the solution is this

But what about for example

this

Less losses, no?

I feel W has better options but where?

Many tsumego solutions test if you considered the “toughest”/ “strongest” resistance of the opponent (white here) and if you can refute that, instead of the opponent immediately accepting defeat and minimizing the damage.

4 Likes

I want to say “the most stubborn resistance”.

5 Likes

That said, what should white do in an actual game after black plays R18? Tenuki?

3 Likes

Curse

2 Likes

Cry?

I mean it’s quite a local disaster.

3 Likes

Probably tenuki and decide later what you want:

• Capture at O19 in sente (useful to increase liberties of O17)
  • Play R19 before O19 (best to maximize local points but gote, so often not the best way to play)
  • Use S18, O19 and Q19 as ko threats (not even worse on points on average, since you get the point at P19 in sente)
4 Likes

In other words, the point is to find that black can save the 4 stones by capturing the white corner. This might not be obvious. You could consider the double atari at s18 instead, which does nothing.
Once you have found blacks solution however, the position is already lost for white. The white moves then serve only to show that there is no defense against it and to test, whether you have read the sequence to the end. They are not the best moves.

In an actual game the best move would often be to take sente and play away, since there is no saving this corner anyway. For a tsumego situation this makes no sense. The tsumego would end after the first correct black move, possibly leaving unanswered questions.
In the example problem, if white played away, you would never get to see the reason the cut at r18 works, which is a shortage of liberties on both sides after black extends down to the first line. Blacks second move here is critical to the solution of this tsumego. And it can only ocurr, if white plays along.

4 Likes

Things that annoy me:

This one

isn’t considered solved until you actually put the

final stone

I mean, what else could there be.

This one

is marked

solved

But yeah leave it to my imagination, category “easy” problem. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

for first one white could/should sacc the 3 stones and connect on 1st line

Summary

1 Like

On the Tsumego Pro app, “easy” daily problems are occasionally more difficult than “hard” problems.

4 Likes

So…
In this situation

Solution is this

I don’t see a way for black to prevent white from getting two eyes…

Black has no way of living unconditionally. Ko is indeed the best possible outcome for black.

Similar case in the past
1 Like

This might just be a typo, but it’s about getting eyes for black.

I know, but after it shows as solved, one way or another W gets T3 and gets two eyes.
So I don’t see how it is a solution for B, as it should.

I’m not sure, but maybe it helps to think about this: What would happen if there was no ko rule?

1 Like

If black plays some huge ko-threat here and white answers it, it’s black’s turn again.
b:s1
if white t3 now, no black stones die because they have a freedom at t1
b:t4 and now black lives :slight_smile:
you might have missed the freedom black gains from playing s1

2 Likes

@Civilian I had to play it out to understand it…

2 Likes

Nothing to feel bad about, it’s often difficult to see libertys on the board that will be there only after stones are captured :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t have guessed this is killable, good lesson to learn

1 Like