Upcoming new OGS rating system

Just to add some evidence, https://lichess.org uses Glicko2 and you can see your per-game progress.

3 Likes

Wow, they have even more lines on their graphs than we do :smiley:

1 Like

@mlopezviedma How we account for the passage of time?

A high RD indicates that a player may not be competing frequently or that a player has only competed in a small number of tournament games. A low RD indicates that a player competes frequently.

This would mean I need to process all players during a rating period, whether they played or not.

For example, suppose I have 15 members in my roster and the rating period is per club meeting basis instead of per game basis. At the end of the club meeting, if only 5 members showed up to play, I would process the games of the 5 members who played as well as the 10 members who were absent.

This would mean I would follow all steps of the algorithm for the 5 players, but follow the steps only to get the new RD for the 10 absent members. Am I correct?

That would be correct.

2 Likes

Yes, that would be correct. In fact, Glicko2 models passage of time by slowly increasing the RD of those players who didnā€™t play. And this makes sense, because if you donā€™t play in the system for a long time, you can have 1) decreased your strength because of not playing Go at all, or 2) studied and improved your strength not showing that to the system through games. So, the system says ā€œIā€™m not so sure now about this userā€™s strengthā€.

3 Likes

I was wondering if we had an ETA on the rollout of the new system?
Will the site be down at any point during the roll out or will it all happen in the BG and basically a switch is flipped once itā€™s ready?

Probably last week of july, first week of august timeframe. Itā€™s grinding away in the background as we speak, I had to restart things though so itā€™s still going to be awhileā€¦ once itā€™s close / ready weā€™ll make an announcement and flip the switch. Weā€™ll be keeping both ratings system going for awhile until weā€™re confident enough that the new one is performing as expected.

11 Likes

How will the ā€œrestrict rankingā€ part of game finding work? (IE what rank ā€¦ note that I find this confusing even now, which rank I am talking about and getting when I restrict rank!)

Are peopleā€™s ranks staying basically the same with the new system, or are you noticing a general shift up or down across the board?

There will be a single ā€œoverallā€ rank that will be used for every aspect of match making (in stark contrast to our current system). Other information will be available (though how much Iā€™m not sure) but does not affect any kind of pairing processes.

1 Like

Makes sense, but what I was attempting to ask is how will this work during the period Anoek mentioned when both rating systems will be runningā€¦

1 Like

Oh, when he flips the switch everything will run off the new system. He will keep the current system running and ā€œcurrent / up to dateā€ for a period of time in the background just as a precaution in case the new system falls in a heap for some unforeseen reason and he needs to revert the change. Once theyā€™re happy the new system is running as desired I imagine theyā€™ll turn off the current one completely.

2 Likes

Source on the single rank thing? I remember reading about it somewhere, and thought it would work that way, but just wanted some confirmation.

Iā€™m curious about the rank changes too. Since OGS ranks are generally deflated compared to other servers, I too canā€™t help but wonder if the OGS populous will be blessed with a bonus of one or two ranks stronger~ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh gosh i know it was in this forum but a different threadā€¦ let me see if i can find it again

Edit: found it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hope ranks will stay the same. Right now OGS (compared to IGS, KGS and Tygem) have ranks that are closest to real life ranks (at least in Russia and probably Europe). And I kinda like how OGS ranks are more ā€œsolidā€.

Interesting. What do you mean by ā€œsolidā€? They certainly fluctuate a lot more than compared to some other servers, say, KGS.

I probably used the wrong word. I have a feeling that since on OGS is harder to get a higher rank, itā€™s worth more and have some weight to it. And if a server lets you get ranks easily then itā€™s like an undeserved praise and just deceives you into thinking that youā€™re strong.

3 Likes

I appreciate the lichess.org shout-out ; but their rating system isnā€™t actually Glicko-2. Iā€™m working on fixing that, one module at a time.

1 Like

Wikipedia disagrees.

ā€¦ which is why my first comment on this topic was, ā€œWhat is the rating period?ā€ Lichess canā€™t answer that question since their so-called ā€œGlicko-2ā€ implementation does not age ratings.

2 Likes