Visualize go this way, instantly make it 30 times easier to count

I can certainly imagine a go board similar to an Abalone board.

I suppose this would work quite well when playing go in a train or something similar. The stones probably won’t shift when the ride is a bit bumpy.

7 Likes

Montessori multiplication (10x10) and division (9x9) boards:

3 Likes

What about the hexagonals? New game: Stigmergy • Life In 19x19

Absolutely brilliant!

Tumbleweed minus the stacking? :slight_smile:

Oh says it was based on it :slight_smile: I suppose the more or less free placement of stones (no suicides) does make it have more of a Go feel, although capturing with lines of sight is the non-go part.

2 Likes

Interesting … in the early 1980s I had the idea to create a Go board with a copper sheet into which I wanted to punch dents where the intersections are, with black and white marbles as stones … sadly I never got to make it real.

3 Likes

Interesting contributions. Unfortunately, OGS is no longer sending me email notifications whenever my postings have replies; instead, it sends me what looks like a summary of random postings once in a while.

The worst of both worlds! :smiley:

8 Likes

There already exists equipment for playing Go with stones inside the squares

4 Likes

Wait wait wait wait wait…

becomes

Yet

becomes

?!

6 Likes

Where did you get this stones ?

From the video above

1 Like

I don’t know what game they’re playing here but it certainly isn’t Go!

:laughing:

6 Likes

It’s 10 in a row

2 Likes

My search of the origin of kyu ranking, lead me to a full-blown search of the late 19th century Go community and society, and I found quite some interesting references to Go.

This is a page from a book published in 1891 (明治24年) named - “遊戯算術” - (learn) math in games. It talked about tic-tac-toe (even spelled differently as Tit-tat-to) and its generalized case to a larger board size (and immediately switch topic to checkerboard with a completely different game on the next page). From the prefix, the author talked about his inspiration and sources from magazines outside of Japan, and in the page, he recommended using go stones and boards to play and find variations without needing to draw.

7 Likes

Did you ever try playing go with an abalone set ? How is it with a hexa grid, too easy to live?

I’ve never played go on a hexagonal grid, but I can imagine that the game would progress more slowly. Stones have many liberties, so it may take more moves to attack or make eyes.

1 Like

Stock photo from the internet

3 Likes

… and all the magic is lost in a moment …

I think it does become more evident that corners are big.

1 Like