Werewolf Go (setup thread)

I personally don’t mind pausing the game for a few weeks, as long as we continue afterwards (although I don’t know how other participants might feel about it).

This variant is rather flexible with regards to the number of participants. So I’d like to give an opportunity to all who want to try it out. Waiting a few weeks is no problem in my opinion.

2 Likes

+1 to the “this is bananas, count me in” attitude.

2 Likes

However, forcing capture makes it easy to decrease an opponent’s score by throwing in stones in an annoyingly 2-space gap way, resembling efficient space-filling problems

I suggest instead that we use a komi, based on N villagers and M werewolves on a board of size X to have X2(N - M) / (N + M). For instance, 5 villagers and 4 werewolves would lead to 1/9 of the total intersection going to the werewolves as komi.

3 Likes

This looks like it will be nuts. Count me in!

4 Likes

Welcome to the game @GoNXaS @NeilAgg! With this we have 11 participants :slight_smile:

Ah yes, I forgot about that, good catch :sweat_smile:

I believe to understand your reason for this komi (although not all intersections will be filled), and think it’s a good idea. Then shall we play with area score, where dead stones need to be taken off (like tromp-taylor)?

On an unrelated note, I believe we don’t need a Ko rule.

2 Likes
Which board size do you prefer?
  • 9x9
  • 13x13
  • 19x19

0 voters

One more question for all players: When should we start the game? I will be away from 2022-07-31T22:00:00Z until 2022-08-06T22:00:00Z

I’ll be away last week of August.

2 Likes

I’m interested. : >

1 Like

You are not going to be able to line up everyone’s calendars, so you might as well start whenever is convenient for you.

3 Likes

I assume there’s a ‘not’ missing here. :slight_smile: And I agree, inevitably someone will always be away and we’ll have to wait anyway, so let’s not worry too much about that.

1 Like

Ok lets do that, and when somebody is unavailable, we pause the game. That is probably unavoidable with a large number of participants. I’ll be the arbiter.

Please confirm your participation one last time (I was going to mention the eleven people who expressed their interest, but “can’t mention more than 10 people in a post” … :unamused:)

• Yes
  • No
0 voters

Also please vote in the poll about your prefered board size: Werewolf Go (setup thread) - #25 by martin3141
If it stays as a tie I will flip a coin :wink:

If all eleven players sign up, this is the configuration of hidden roles that I would suggest:

5x Villager - Are told that they are a villager, place stones of hidden colour Village.

1x Spy - Are told that they are a spy, place stones of hidden colour Village.

4x Werewolf - Are told that they are a Werewolf, and the set of players that are either Werewolf, Spy or Amnesiac. Place stones of hidden colour Werewolf.

1x Amnesiac - Are told that they are a villager, place stones of hidden colour Werewolf.

4 Likes

Good catch, I corrected my post.

This is going to be crazy. Thanks so much for organizing, @martin3141!

4 Likes

Is there interest for a private kibitzing thread on the ongoing game? If so, then let me know and I’ll create one where all hidden information is revealed. Needless to say no information may leak from there to the players. And I would make the kibitzing public after the game concludes.

Of course only if the players don’t mind.

3 Likes

Do we have a certain timing for moves?

Day/ night settings don’t make sense here, but is there a “please play your move within X time frame”?

2 Likes

Yeah I should have written something about that in the setup thread before the game started. I intend to handle it similar to how we handle it in some other variant games, where after some downtime the players get reminded, and after a lot of downtime, we start looking for a replacement player. There is no strict rules how long to wait, but I’d say after 2-3 days of downtime reminder, after 7-9 days of downtime start looking for replacement. Unless the player has communicated that they will be unavailable, which is encouraged.

6 Likes

I don’t mind. It might be interesting for you to read comments from spectators.

1 Like

What’s the goal of the amnesiac? Helping the settlers win or the rebels?

1 Like

The teams are built with respect to the hidden colour, i.e. the teams are:

Team Settler
4x Settler
1x Spy

Team Rebel
3x Rebel
1x Amnesiac

3 Likes

It’s my own shortcoming, the teams are clearly described.

2 Likes