What is the best method to improve reading skills?

The best way to improve reading in your games is… Read more in your games.

I see so many people that do lots of tsumego but don’t bother taking time in their games to read.

5 Likes

It seems to be the case sometimes. Of course, people are more serious in a tournament, but I am trying to be serious in online games as well and even so I still need more practice to do it properly; I need to manage time effectively (to not lose in time), and to not play a move based on intuition or momentum alone (have a second thought before playing a move). The game of go requires a mental process which helps improve the overall effectiveness and efficiency, which is not inherent but trained.

3 Likes

What do you think about playing Fischer Random Chess (960) to improve Go reading ?

1 Like

How about solving sudokus or playing the piano? :wink:

ChatGPT

The best method to improve reading skills varies from person to person, but here are some effective strategies:

1. Read Regularly: Consistent reading is key. Make reading a daily habit.
  2. Choose Varied Material: Read a variety of genres and subjects to expand your vocabulary and comprehension.
  3. Set Goals: Set achievable reading goals, like a certain number of pages or chapters per day.
  4. Take Notes: Jot down key points or new vocabulary words as you read.
  5. Discuss and Reflect: Engage in discussions or write reflections on what you’ve read to deepen your understanding.
  6. Use Technology: Utilize e-readers or audiobooks if they help you read more often.
  7. Join a Book Club: This can provide motivation and opportunities for discussion.
  8. Practice Speed Reading: Techniques like skimming and scanning can improve reading speed.
  9. Expand Vocabulary: Learn new words and their meanings to enhance comprehension.
  10. Read Aloud: This can improve both reading and pronunciation skills.

Remember that improvement takes time, so be patient with yourself as you work on your reading skills.

1 Like

(1) and (2) are good advice for Go. I’m curious if (8) and (10) can be valuable. I could definitely see a benefit to increased reading speed, but it might not be good practice to “skim” Go problems

1 Like

Maybe the analogue for go would be
8. Visualize quickly sequences appearing in the solutions of problems that you’ve already solved.
10. Explain aloud the reasoning leading to the solution of a problem (as if you had to teach a friend).

No idea if these methods are useful.

2 Likes

Although the advice given by the chatbot had interpreted the question as about reading text/books, I think all of the points have analogous meanings for Go as well.

For those not already mentioned:

3. Goals could be number of problems, chapters in a problem book, books in a collection, etc.
4. Making notes about certain shapes and life/death concepts.
5. Seems directly applicable. It could be particularly useful to discuss difficult and tricky problems, where the underlying lesson is not clear.
6. Using various apps and websites to facilitate Go problem solving.
7. Joining a Go playing and/or learning group, perhaps one that might focus on solving problems together.
9. Learning the terminology for certain shapes and concepts that appear in Go problems may help to better understand and apply them. For example: capturing race, false eye, throw-in, shortage of liberties, seki, under-the-stones, squeeze, forcing move, connect-and-die, snapback, miai, etc.

3 Likes

Well this one could also be thought of as timed tsumego like Badukpop’s tsumego, 101weiqi’s ones or I guess tsumego hero also has that mode. Or

I suppose with

you could also read aloud with enough terminologogy. Attach, hane, nose attach, pull back, peep etc

2 Likes

2 Likes