What should be in the Go Memes Thread

I’ve been having a look back at that.

When the thread first started, in 2015, there was an initial burst of replies appreciating the thread, and then it remained completely memes for the next 3 years, with only the most occasional single appreciative comment in reply.

In Feb 2018 a discussion about “what is a meme” erupted. I was involved in that, happily discussing that topic, until this sentiment emerged, which I captured with that meme.

During 2018, comments became more frequent, but they were generally directly on topic, and just “appreciative”, or funny quips in keeping with the thread. During that time, I too was as much to “blame” for these non-meme comments. It seems that as much as anyone, I was taking part in the “human exchange” accompanying the memes.

The “character” of the thread was “Meme’s and occasional quips”

Around about Feb this year was the gradual increase of conversations in the thread. At that point, more frequently you will see whole pages of the thread without a meme in them.

I would say that’s the point at which the character of the thread noticeably changed - and it’s fascinating for me looking back at it to see that I was part of that even though now I am advocating for “fixing” it.

As a user of the Memes thread, I can see that I found, and do find, the quips about memes interesting and a positive experience.

Personally, I find the extended conversations that veer away from being meme related at all to be “not really what I want to see in there”, and this is what led me in the direction of “policing” that.

6 Likes