What's a good bounty to implement Rengo?

Triplet Go?

I don’t know, it’s called that already on DGS and the variant server, as well as on senseis.

2 Likes

This is a typical case of it being very easy to implement with the right start, but very annoying to fix if you don’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Also a typical case of it being very easy to implement in your head, but very annoying to get the code to work. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

As exemplified by “multi-colour-go”. If only that had been on the radar all those years ago…

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. I do appreciate the difference, but I think it’s unfortunate that the concern from @qnpnpmqppnp’s original comment has been lost. Namely, that newcomers to Go or OGS may not know what Rengo is.

I mean heck, this thread has been a lesson in how much I don’t know what Rengo means :sweat_smile:

I’m no longer attached to Pair Go (especially if we’re getting 3v3 etc). But I really think consideration of Team Go or Group Go (or other) ought to be considered.

2 Likes

One simple solution is a few words to explain what rengo is on the play page so that the lost souls won’t have to search too far what all these players are refering to.

Something like [play rengo: a 2 vs 2 game]

Better wording if you have ofc.

In fact some more explaination won’t be a luxury to put somewhere accessible, with the specific organization and rules (how turns are proceed, how to resign or pass, what you can say or not, etc…)

2 Likes

I don’t know, it’s called Rengo everywhere.

Just like joseki are called joseki. We could call those “standard sequences”, but we don’t, we call them joseki, because everyone calls them joseki. What if you open a puzzle and read “Black to make seki”? You’d be confused as well.

The solution is to open Google and search for what “rengo” or “joseki” or “seki” means, and then you know what it is.

I’m not a fan of naming something differently because otherwise newcomers might not understand what is meant, that just delays the problem: then they play Team Go for a while and still don’t know what Rengo is.

6 Likes

In that answer are the reasons why team go and pair go are confusing names.

I agree that foreign jargon is commonplace in Go, but in my view this is something that should be pushed-back rather than celebrated.

Terms like Joseki, Seki, Rengo, Tsumego, Keima, Nobi, Hoshi etc. are not universal, it’s just the Japanese terms. A Chinese person would instead use Chinese terms, and I’m not sure why an English-speaking person should not be using English terms (which we already do sometimes, such as “knight-jump”)

Sticking to Japanese can sound cool to hobbyists already used to the linguo, but for outsiders it obfuscates discussion and increase the entry-cost for no reason. Saying “Well just Google it” is not a friendly approach.

that just delays the problem: then they play Team Go for a while and still don’t know what Rengo is.

Why would it be such an issue if they don’t know the Japanese term? I don’t know the Chinese or Korean equivalent either.

More realistically, at some point if they stay in this community they will become familiar with foreign jargon, but at least at first glance they won’t be immediately lost.

Anyway, I know we won’t suddenly change the Go vocabulary, but when possible I do feel it would be beneficial for the community to use a more accessible language. It’s not the end of the world if we pick “Rengo” though.

3 Likes

Have you tried Googling rengo? For me it’s the 10th result…

At least with Pair Go, the results are halfway relevant.

Choose clear labels, like (suggestion):

• Rengo (Pair Go) or Pair Go (Rengo): two teams of two players
  • Multiplayer Go: more than two players, with the exception of Rengo.
1 Like

You might have to type in “rengo go” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Team go, pair go are already used names so that’s too confusing.

You suggested group go. I don’t like it because for me group invoke some kind of discussion, debates which are not part of a rengo.

Any more suggestion?

1 Like

Is Pair Go’s current usage really a source of confusion? The rules are the same, but without the genders. Since gender isn’t really an integral part of OGS they become about the same.

Anyway I’m in kind of the same boat as @qnpnpmqppnp it’s not the end of the world to me if this is something most users feel strongly about. I just ask that whatever we do go with, we be considerate to newcomers. @Atorrante’s suggestion seems like one way to do that.

I’m not saying that the Japanese terms should be preferred over English terms, I’m saying that the standard term should be preferred over making up a new name.

Team Go is not a standard name for Rengo, since Team Go generally refers to playing with a group and discussing moves between the team. Pair Go is not the right name, since it refers to this very specific tournament thing with a mixed gender pair of players. Group Go is not used by anyone as far as I’m aware.

It’s called Rengo by the vast majority of the people who play Rengo, so even if OGS calls it something different, that does not change that the term Rengo will come up sooner or later, just like terms like “joseki” or “keima”.

It also reminds me of:

It wouldn’t be an issue, if those terms weren’t being used for the concepts constantly. The Chinese and Korean terms generally aren’t known by anybody who doesn’t speak Chinese or Korean (with some exceptions, like haengma), but the Japanese terms are used ubiquitously, thus it makes sense to use them and for a beginner to learn them.

9 Likes

Sorry but that’s really confusing.

More than 2 players are in the traditional sense (historically from Japan) part of the rengo category.

and stricto sensu

A game of go with its 2 players is a multiplayers game already.

2 Likes

Fascinating that in your eyes it’s not ok to use foreign words but it is ok to expect a robust understanding of the rules of another game. (Knight move being pretty much the 3rd most complicated basic chess rule after en passant and castling).

We use the Japanese terms because they were the first nation to start trying to spread Go to the world. Yes a lot of English words are filling out the language but I don’t think it’s wrong to celebrate Go’s heritage and culture.

Heck even the fact that the west calls it Go (from igo) rather than baduk or weiqi or “the surrounding game” is a Japanese throwback.

6 Likes

I think one of the strengths of English is that it is very willing to adopt loan words and make them part of English.
The issue is more that Go is not so widely played in English speaking countries. But I would suggest that terms like joseki are English words with definitions like “standard corner sequences in the game of Go” (orig: Japanese term)

If you call something a Knight’s move to a beginner you still have to explain what it is. It doesn’t really matter what the name is, there is still a hurdle to associate the name with the concept. In fact English names might be more confusing if they have other associations. The Japanese origin terms used in English have the advantage of being specific.

5 Likes

I’m not against debates but it’s like loonng ago that many players here ask for rengo in many posts and topics, crying shouting polling and beating the table with their spoons (some school old memory) and…

What is the word that everyone in every post since the beginning of OGS forum use ?

Rengo?

5 Likes