Why are there hundreds of music video links posted on a Go website?

Well i’m sorry if i offend you. Your question sounded strange to me as i didn’t see really why to be surprised by the quantity of posts about music. And my comments on how to avoid them was as a help in the case you (or other readers) would like to avoid them.

I would expect myself even more side contributions for many elitist reasons as go was considered as a major art in ancient time (like music). I am absolutly not surprised by mathematical, philosophical, pictural, humoristic, linguistical and various interesting linked videos in this forum and expect to read even more when i come again.
Nice people and a lot to read besides (or better with?) Go.

2 Likes

When I started playing Go around 1971,

Hmmm, you are old. :rofl:

Yes, indeed. Love it, too.

6 Likes

Forgot food and gardening. How could I forget?
So essential.

2 Likes

@david265 If you want a different angle to the whole thing about a forum is that while you have people talking and exchanging ideas and experiences over a variety of topic, you get to enrich your own point of view with things that other people/soiceties find reasonable/normal, but you never happened to be exposed to them, so they never came about your thoughts.

The more this happens, the more people grow.
The more people exchange information, the more you get to know some facets of them and you learn things they like/enjoy or things they are interested in. E.g. I just watched this video, just for fun, and I see that at some point, it is going in depth about rocks, collecting them, their consistency and format and how they later interact with water.

I know that @Conrad_Melville likes rocks, so I find the appropriate topic (not this topic, though in this case it is an example) and I post it and tag him so that he can have a look:

Then this might remind him of something else that is interesting or he might respond with some tale from one of his treks or people he met that claimed that the best stones for skipping where made from granite or or maybe he has been to Utah and gathered rocks like that or something else. Keeps the discussion rolling, you learn something new :slight_smile:

Same thing goes with music. The music threads are filled with such suggestions or things that those people enjoy and they thought to share them because they think that they are obscure/unknown and that other people would enjoy too.

6 Likes

Thanks! Wonderful video! Like most kids, I loved skipping stones, but I’m not much good at it. I think I was happy when I got five or six skips. I never had a pond or lake to skip in, however. We used to skip stones in a polluted creek where we sometimes played, so we had little space, or at the beach, where the wave action interferes. Most people, I think, realize the importance of flat stones and the spin. I had no idea that people compete at this in formal competitions, but it makes sense.

4 Likes

So, I’d like to ask the question for, like, 500 other people as well as myself; Why’s your username Groin?

I think 500 other people already got their answer 3 years ago

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Quite misleading when English is used by Groin so much. Fun.

1 Like

I will admit that I was at first taken aback by that username, because before @Groin explained I only knew the English word groin, not the French word.

I even thought about discussing internally whether such a word should be allowed as username :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Lucky me as no need to bump that topic every few years or so.

6 Likes

Groin is just a body part. No reason to be offended.

7 Likes

In case you’re responding to me, I am not offended, nor would I be. You’d perhaps be surprised by how much I’d not be offended :smiley:

Right, as is nipple, lung, penis, kidney, brain, eye, vulva, tongue … yet not all of these might be appropriate as username.
Especially as this is supposed to be a “family-friendly” place, and especially as the Go server and forum are seated in the US where people have much stricter opinions about what is “family-friendly” as in some other places (while at the same time producing the most brutal pr0n!) :man_shrugging:

That username is quite “soft”, it’s not like he is showing groin pics to young children.

Groin pic, don't click if easily offended
Are you sure? I warned you.

groin

9 Likes

LOL, sry … just checked vocabulary … I confused “groin” with “crotch” :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

so would crotch be considered an inappropriate username on OGS?

Would likely depend on how active they are and whether anyone reports it. As above it’s pretty mild. Chosen profile picture is probably also relevant.

KGS user Iamdick says hi.

Hi Richard

1 Like

There are certainly more graphic usernames at the moment (1, 2, 3) I guess they fly under the radar because they are inactive - but not too hard to find using the search bar.