🤯 Why do Go players drop out? Addressing anxiety and stress in Go

I think that you will find that is more of an individual’s issue, than the activity’s issue, so it is a bit hard to pinpoint the “this” and “that” in broader terms.

For example, I take this attitude I mentioned to everything I do, things that have nothing in common with Go like learning music or playing basketball. Certainly it is an attitude that does not push someone to excellence, but it leads itself to a wide range of learning/experience and minimum (if any) stress/anxiety/fear involved. :slight_smile:

Therefore what you are trying to find is why people have different, more anxious prone, mentalities in general (which they later apply to Go) and I’d say that this is hardly an easy issue to even gather data on, let alone offer any kind of solutions to (therefore the “adressing” part of the topic is hard to fathom).

For example, I have a friend that is full of anxiety and self-doubt and she brings all that to everything she does, because that is who she is, as a character. Do you think that it is Go itself that would make her stress on “where to play?” when anxiety is a problem she would have even on Monopoly after rolling the dice and having only one place to move to? :thinking:

The fear of “judgement and fear” of “defeat” (well, the feeling of “not being worthy of winning” in her case), come with the person and not from the game.

I’ll give you another example from basketball. There was this kid, back in the day, which would always appear in the court, would inevitably join a team and regardless of the result at the time, he would give up and leave, every single time, and leave the game in the middle and the teams imbalanced, thus ruining the match for all of us.
Do you think that person would approach Go with a different mentality or would he quit very fast or at least quit the games he joined? Of course he’d quit, because that’s his character (or that’s as far as his attention span would take him) and Go itself would have had nothing to do with it.

So, unless you plan on the biggest phychological survey and research of all time, I highly doubt that this will lead to anything tangible, because the problem lies beyond Go.

4 Likes