Why do we have to set both limits on rank when matching?

May I ask, what is this “stuff” that anoek is talking about? I didn’t play in 2014, so I don’t know all about the differences from now and back then. I would like to know what stuff he is talking about, and how they effected the site back then. It is a true scenario that happens; sometimes if you are low ranked, it is the best way to challenge high ranked opponents through these “back door” ranked game entrances. I am sure I am not the only low ranked person that plays more high ranked opponents like this(I might have 4-6 current unranked games, at least 4 of them are within the range I could challenge to ranked games. Most people that join live/blitz ASTs are 13k+, although I was lucky once and got one with mainly 18-25ks. I have probably played more opponents 10+ ranks away from me this way then unranked games not played against bots.). I am curious if this stuff he mentioned was implanted and if it affected what ranks you can challenge to ranked games. I admit I didn’t read more of the thread, but from the quote, that is what I took out of it.