Wish: Better Noticeable Undo Requests

4 Likes

How about the third option of only allowing it in correspondence / live games? I can imagine some people might find an undo in correspondence not as much a problem as in live games, as the time constraint is not so strict, or conversely in live games as the chance of misclicks is a lot higher.

My gut reaction to this was no, but I had trouble putting into words why… the more I thought about it, the more this argument made sense to me… that people’s willingness / aversion to undo requests was more likely to be time control based than a global / per game option…

I do still think though that if undo requests are on and one comes in, that there should be an optional check box for “no more requests this game” that can be attached to either a yes or no answer.

I wasn’t clear on what the suggestion was proposing.

I pretty much only play correspondence, and I don’t want to get undoes.

In fact, I would argue that there is less reason to allow undoes in correspondence, because there is absolutely no reason for a misclick in correspondence. So an undo in correspondence is more likely to be “oh crap I see the trap I just fell into”.

Maybe you’re saying players should be able to specify “I don’t accept undoes” on a game-type basis. Because for example they might accept a misclick in live, but not correspondence.

That would make sense to me.

1 Like

so is there a git-issue for this?

Happy to borrow you my old and slow smartphone to convince you there can be reasons. :grinning:

(Yes, I have the submit move button activated!)

3 Likes

I’ll second that! Phones can have a mind of their own and sometimes even with submit button on weird things can happen. I think we’ll always find a counter example for every example on both sides which is why we need to keep it as flexible as possible both ways.

Exactly what I was proposing.

Although, I can definitely confirm that misclicks in correspondence happen, especially when playing on a phone (I once played a move with my elbow by accident).

4 Likes

Nothing worse than your phone being in your pocket and you hear “thwack”

6 Likes

made’ 'requested? Yes please.

Yes please.

I think these two things could be done before or without getting into all the permutations of various cases.

1 Like

I swear I’m not a necrophiliac, but …

… now that we have sound when an undo is requested (thx @Kosh, it was my bad English mistake originally), could we also have something very visual for this also?

While I LOVE the new sounds … sometimes I turn off the sound system-wide and forget to turn it back on, and many people have all OGS sounds turned off also.

I play LOTS of correspondence games, and sometimes, when I visit a game where I need to play a move, I do so quickly, and it has happened that I have overlooked an undo request.

Having the last played move, the one that the opponent would like to take back, in RED and BLINKING, perhaps with a question mark, just to make it UN-IGNOREABLE, would be a nice thing, IMHO.

5 Likes

[A few minutes later]

Well, to make that stone red is bad, I think, because it should def. have the opponent’s colour; just a blinking RED question :question: mark would suffice. (Although I’d rather wish for the whole board to blink :wink:)

1 Like

Anything that works is fine by me and it should definitely be optional as there will be those who don’t want it. Maybe needs to be optional selectively for blitz/live/correspondence depending on how intrusive it is.

1 Like

As long as there is no pop-up or any mechanism blocking placing a stone I think it’s fine, but yeah a setting would probably be good too

3 Likes

Well, for corr. games I’d have nothing against such a thing … but I think a blinking :question: would really do it.

2 Likes

You might not, but others definitely would. Undo requests are always a REALLY contentious issue here. Many believe they shouldn’t exist at all, so we need to tread carefully.

3 Likes

If there were going to be something that “imposed visually” when an undo request is made, then there would need to be something to dismiss it.

As BHydden said, undos are entirely discretionary anyhow, so it seems to me that adding complexity around them is not warranted.

It’s perfectly legitimate to ignore an undo request - I would not like to see a situation created where instead of ignoring, you have to actually dismiss.

3 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

For me, maybe this: :leftwards_arrow_with_hook: or :recycle: if you get my drift but any visual clue will do. While I rarely ask for undos, I usually like to grant them and I dislike the idea of not noticing the request.

3 Likes

It is indeed a fine line to tread appeasing the people who don’t want to see them AND the people who don’t want to NOT see them :smiley:

1 Like