Women in go

Maybe you know about diana (She is from Hungary)?
Diana Koszegi

P. S. I swear I didn’t go searching for it, I just left ogf and opened Digg to spend some time on the internet and relax. But

Funny how relatable this is. But not really funny.

2 Likes

To whom it may concern …

4 Likes

Lol I both my outer and inner beauty has degraded over time :sweat_smile: :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

This is my first thought:

3 Likes

I don’t know her personally and I’ve never interacted with her but she (and her school) is a very famous player in the West, I think. I know about what happened to her (on topic here, probably, by the way) and I’m very sorry about it.

I know two quite strong female Hungarian players (amateurs)

2 Likes

IME in my childrens club, both girls and boys are curious about go and like to learn and play it for fun.

In the large casual player group during lunch breaks, I think the percentage of girls varies between 40-60%. But in the smaller and (slightly) more serious groups after school, there are definitely more boys than girls. I think the percentage of girls there varies between 10-25%.

Side note: several mothers learned how to to play and only one father. But the one father did stick with it much longer than those mothers.

So to me it seems that even though girls seem to like go just as much as boys do, girls tend to commit less to it than boys. I don’t know the reasons behind these observations, but I can make some guesses:

Maybe boys are more stimulated to commit to an activity like go (this may be due to upbringing and culture).

Another explanation may be that go tends to draw somewhat monomaniac people. I hear that monomania is more common in men, while versatility is more common in women (this may be due to upbringing and culture and/or to gender differences).

As for competitiveness, I think there is little difference between women and men, but men may be more explicit about it (maybe due to upbringing and culture and/or to gender differences).

Over the years, I have played against about a dozen female dan players in tournaments, and I don’t think I can tell the difference from the way of playing. If anything, dan female dan players might be a bit more aggressive than male dan players.

I don’t know how to increase the ratio of women go players. In my childrens club I show female pros regularly to hopefully offer some role models for the girls. But I don’t have many other ideas.

14 Likes

Thank you for this word.

2 Likes

:open_mouth: forums getting steamy

The fault to my english level (and my french background) Edit in “gender” thx for correcting

1 Like

No no your english is fine just a funny sequence of words when taken out of context hehe

I’m not mature enough for this topic :v::smile:

5 Likes

Yes, I could be repeating a stereotype that has no factual basis. I suppose my sample size is too small anyway to draw a solid conclusion.

2 Likes

My mother is not really a games person, but she does like card games and she has been a club Bridge player for decades.

As a child, I learned chess and draughts from my grandmother, who loved to play all kinds of games.

My wife and my sister seem to enjoy cooperative games and somewhat casual board games, such as Settlers of Catan. They both know how to play go, but it’s not really their kind of game.

2 Likes

I will share a photo. This is a picture of the Ancient Ages in my country. Go has always been a major hobby for women and it is still the same today. The problem is that it is not very well known. (I’m not a native English speaker, so I may not be able to explain it well.)

13 Likes

Is it that women in Japan have more free time as men (at work)? Or just a stereotype of mine ?

1 Like

It means that historically it is a false stereotype that women do not play Go.

8 Likes

That is a beautifully testable hypothesis!

If women play more aggressively AND more unyieldingly (“fighting to the bitter end”), we would expect to see

• either a higher [median number of moves] for all games, OR at least for all that end in resignation
  • larger [average winning margins]

Compare a large but semi-random (random sample of selected ranks) matched-group (controlling for rating as a confounder / third variable) sample of MM and WW games. I doubt we have move number information in the EGF database, but this analysis could be done for professional matches (not ideal, but considering Natalia implicitly claimed that this was the case for women in general, that should be a valid way to gather evidence).

2 Likes

Yes sure, i understood that. I saw many paintings of women playing go together. I read that traditionally, men go work and bring resources to families while women are in charge of the home. I guess it is less true in modern time. But historically, can we think women had some more free time in this way of life, time they could spend playing go?

2 Likes

Oh, I understand your question. I think it’s only for noblewomen. (Not all women, in that sense.) Because they had their work done by people of lower status. It’s another negative aspect of history. In ancient times, the biggest barrier of not being able to play Go was status.

11 Likes