11k vs 11k review request

The game is here - https://online-go.com/game/11935458

My opponent kept invading absolutely everything, and I got really frustrated and couldn’t deal with it. I’m looking for some pointers on how to deal with this sort of attack. Thanks.

Here you go: https://online-go.com/review/302217

It’s kind of a tragic game because a single blunder caused the loss. The good news is the blunder has a simple explanation: you play too aggressively when solid moves work. You likely had that mindset in earlier parts of the game as well. I recommend emphasizing solid moves in future games and also to do daily go puzzles to help you find tactical mistakes.

1 Like

Here’s another review:

Your opponent is able to invade everywhere because you’ve got lots of weaknesses for them to take advantage of. Think a bit more about whether your moves are going to create cutting points for your opponent to exploit, and whether your moves are going to give you good, solid shape that can connect to other groups or create eyes.

Those invasions are only a problem if they’re invading between weak groups. If your groups look weak, and they need to live, make smaller extensions to give them eye space and shape. You can make big extensions if you either want to play light and sacrifice some stones, or if you’re strong enough that you can push any potential invasions for profit.

1 Like

Thank you both for your suggestions. I think the frustrating part for me is that I have been doing tsumego a lot, and my reading does not seem to be improving.

Ah, that could be from (1) poor execution or (2) poor application.

If #1, the thing to understand when doing tsumego is that your main goal is to get better at reading, not better at recognizing tsumego solutions. That means that finding the answers is not helpful. You want to work on being consistent and quick.

“Solving” a tsumego means finding the best possible sequence and being 99% confident you’re right.

Instead of focusing on finding the right answers, focus on finding them using a consistent and efficient process for checking different moves and the likely responses.

For #2, assuming you’ve practiced a good reading process, you have to actually do it in games. Whenever you notice danger, you have to apply the process to check different candidate moves and likely responses (read it out). Try it for game moves 20 and 22. Those are the situations stick out to me as avoidable through good reading.

1 Like

Some general advice: If you want to improve your reading skills, you might want to

1. replay pro games to get a feel for “good moves”
  2. make sure that you read the tsumego. As in, don’t click anywhere, imagine the stones in that position. If you can accurately read about 7-12 moves ahead, you can compete with dan players.
1 Like

I agree with the other reviewers’ notes…sometimes force (in any attack) needs to be met with force in the form of more solid shapes. It always very tempting to try to make any given stone placed on the board be doing 2 or more things at one time, but sometimes it’s best to “send a message” to someone constantly making the types of smaller attacks black was making, & that your “shape” being attacked will just get stronger and will not give, even if some amount of future opportunity elsewhere on the board has been conceded.