1s per move ranked games

I am pretty sure that with practice it is possible to play 5+1s “comfortably”, even 19x19 games. This is not the point. The point is that most people who accept these games lose by timeout.
But I agree with you, if the initial time is higher it’s easier (of course). It’s hard to know/decide where to draw the line though.

The tricky part is to decide, how many “loss by timeout” are because they ran out of time to think of / play the next move, and how many are “this seemed like a good place to resign, but it was easier to just let my clock run down”

3 Likes

Playing with 2s increments, "this seemed like a good place to resign, but it was easier to just let my clock run down” seems much more common. Timeouts are usually before the first 6 moves.
Even in those with 1s, when I tried 10 of them, 7 belonged to the second category (of the other 3, one was a game inI was losing, 2 ended very early). I don’t have much experience with 1s unfortunately (precisely because I don’t like games to end in timeouts).
It should be considered that resigning takes more than playing a normal move. “It was easier” does not necessarily imply that it was voluntary. It is difficult to make that decision so quickly.

2 Likes

But what’s the limit then? As KoBa pointed out, it would make a lot of sense to allow rated games at the standard time controls of all other servers. Is 3m+1s Fischer unacceptable?

I understand what you’re saying and agree that 5s+1s is probably too short for rated games for the reasons you’ve stated, but surely after a certain amount of main time, a 1s increment is perfectly reasonable, since you could basically regard it as an “easier/more forgiving” absolute time.

I’d personally be in favor of allowing a 1s increment starting at a certain minimum main time (for 9x9, specifically).

(Just to be clear, my questions at the top of this comment aren’t rhetorical. I’m just looking for a clear answer to try and better understand exactly what is being discussed, so I’m sorry if I’m coming off as overly persnickety or difficult :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

Its not really fast thinking. I will probably not be able to click fast enough to put the stone where I want to on the board. 4-5s is pretty much a minimum.

Oops. I think it’s fixed now?

Accroding to those calculations (on 19x19), 3m+1s is 2.5s per move on average, while 5s+1s is more like 1.0s per move on average. That’s a significant difference. Maybe 2-2.5s per move on average is a reasonable lower limit?

@gennan here reminded me of this thread.
I did not remember that it was said that 1s per move is impossible!

Notes (from that time): D4 was a misclick and D2 simply bad. I could have done better probably. Sampi was better :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I still remember my attempts in trying to break the 1sec/move barrier, I gave up after never finishing a complete 19x19 game :frowning:

1 Like