2021 Rating and rank adjustments

I just added them for testing. As I understand the OP here, anoek decided to go with the one game at a time implementation.

1 Like

hmm, thanks for pointing that out, My understanding of the OP was that there was no mention to the form of ratings period that was implemented… I’m doing a bit of poking around to see if I can find any reference to which gets used

of course, if it is one game at a time, that makes the “rating down after win” bug more astounding, as you would think that would be easy to handle (at least comparatively) provided you got the glicko math right and proper handle on where the player’s initial rating before the update, and actually input a win after each win. Because proof that glicko-2 moves rating up after a ratings period containing only 1 win is trivial… and you can actually have the wrong RD and volatility, and wrong opponent stats and it’s still the case

It’s worth noting that the home page doesn’t update immediately after each game so caching is probably responsible for some of the perceived “Rank didn’t do what I expected” stuff.

Nb. Speaking as a non-coder and tecnoignoramus.

3 Likes

that would make sense, but as far as I’m aware it’s also showing up on API side of things as noted by some entries 2021 New Rating, rating decreases on win · Issue #1376 · online-go/online-go.com · GitHub , although one of them has annullments involved, it’s definitely not a front-end error

Effective 2021:
OGS Rating
Attention @Devin_Fraze

With credit to @Samraku who created it for me here: New Ranks vs Old Ranks, Who Got What - #8 by Samraku

2 Likes

Thanks Kosh, Any idea why that isn’t reflected in the api?
@anoek

(example https://online-go.com/api/v1/players/138181 the rating is 2073 and should convert to ~31 but the api is showing it at 30)

1 Like

Fixed, I was using an old field still

8 Likes

wiki outdated, someone just asked about 15 games window

2 Likes

Well, it is a wiki…

8 Likes

In tournaments no rank restrictions is recorded as 25k and stronger which means 26k can’t join.

4 Likes

FYI: @pdg137 has reported this on GitHub

3 Likes

Pretty late reply, but better late then never: Maybe I’m stupid, or maybe it isn’t supported on Opera GX, but it doesn’t work for me! :confused: Thanks anyways!
Edit: Just tried it again, and it is bugged: It works only for the first 10% of the timeline, can’t shift/stretch it out more to the right!

I was wondering, did the dust settle yet? How do sdk ranks on OGS compare to IRL ranks of official organisations? I am 7k on OGS and 9k EGF, but since I only enrolled in one official tournament so far, that wouldn’t be the best estimate I guess. Any players around in the sdk range who have played more official tournaments? What is your rank IRL compared to OGS? Has any site wide comparison been made yet? Thanks!

6 Likes

I’m 7k OGS and 6k Australian Go Association, but like you both are extremely subject to a total lack of regular data points. That said, I feel like they’re both fairly accurate from what games I have played in the last couple years.

3 Likes

There is a saying , like “no news good news”.
Still I am curious too.

1 Like

Actually my rank just went down by about 8 kyu. Anything happening?

I just looked at your profile and I cannot see anything extraordinary, @Jigglefish, you seem to be improving at a slow (faster than me though :wink:) but steady rate, currently 11k.

1 Like

Is this “down” as in changed to a smaller number? I don’t know what timescale is meant by “just” but I guess that’s the effect of the adjustment.

1 Like

That’s just one side of the coin.
Looking at the chart after the change doesn’t help because it’s pretty consistent by itself.
Nonetheless it’s very different from before!

My new chart says I’ve never been DDK, while I clearly remember the time when I was struggling between 10k and 9k.

I did a before/after chart for Through the years tournament. The overall result seemed to be a shrunk interval: kyus gained rating while high dans lost some. But there where also individuals that were moving in the opposite direction.

It’s post #420 above.

Here is an updated chart about rank evolution in the pool of players from TTY tournament:

Rank distribution it’s a sort of Gauss curve. The blue curves are before rating adjustment. The yellow ones are after. There’s a clear shift toward higher ranks.
The distribution is now narrower and taller and it’s average moved from 10k to 6k.

(just don’t mind the spike at 1d, which is a minor issue in converting ratings to ranks in the API)

7 Likes