2021 Rating and rank adjustments

I wonder for how many people this situation is causing an identity crisis. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yesterday, when I learned that I would be a fulltime SDK after the adjustment (and not hovering back and forth between 9k and 11k all the time :wink: ), my first reaction was “And what will be my real rank then?!?”

Now, I’m suddenly a 6k and I just don’t feel like it. When I made a few moves today in my ongoing corr games, I thought “Oh no, now I need to play like a 6 kyu!”. Like I was just pretending. :sweat_smile:

20 Likes

I know right? Before I was very happy each time I beat a dan player. Now suddenly all of my opponents are dan @_@

I always considered myself to be a go hobbyist and now suddenly I’m one of those go fanatic people.

10 Likes

Thank you! Great resources! I really appreciate this.

Yes… I’m actually at the moment in a phase where I don’t have any time and energy to study, so I’m just playing without thinking much about my moves, and now I feel like I’m obliged to put some real effort into my games. :sweat_smile: :flushed:

3 Likes

uhmmmmm SO … is the update supposed to improve my rank? … i went from 14kyu to 19kyu… feels bad man :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It should change when you refresh the page. Or maybe you’ll need to clear the browser cache.

2 Likes

Huh…ive refreshed and cleared the cache. It shows everyone else’s elevated too :thinking: well… thanks

2 Likes

This seems to me like wise words… personally the recent change feels kind of liberating. It made me think, wow it’s really just a number in the database, so why worry about it. But I went from 15k to 10k in the change so although dramatic I can keep my DDK identity so perhaps it’s not fair of my to dismiss :sweat_smile:

Btw, I can’t help but be curious about DDK ranks in AGA and EGF. The explanation from anoek focuses on anchoring dan ranks which is understandable (those players will presumably be serious and have good idea of their IRL association ranks) I wonder if the new system is closer to the IRL DDK ranks too? I tried to find something about AGA but the documentation is a bit hard to understand and the faq looks old https://agagd.usgo.org/information/

2 Likes

The new OGS ranking is probably now more generous than these organisations for DDK and weaker SDK ranks. From the announcement at the top:

Generally speaking you will have a higher rank on OGS than either organization in the low SDK and DDK ranks.

If I understood the post, the reason is that this preserves the handicap difference that the difference in ranks is supposed to indicate.

8 Likes

Thank you, I missed that. This change also makes me want to play handicap games, which I have always been curious about but now more so

2 Likes

Bravo!

Never thought the day I’d reach SDK would be because of an OGS rank adjustment :laughing:
I think it’s being too generous.

EDIT: I was around 12k / 13k before (too generous again, I had a few wins lately). I would put my skill level around 14k / 15k (when playing in person). I’m now 9k on OGS.

2 Likes

Just play some more, I’m sure you will get to a rank that is more accurate :slight_smile:

Entirely possible the new system is too generous, but I am very skeptical that the old system was being too generous (at least in comparison to other leagues/servers). You may be stronger than you give yourself credit for!

4 Likes

I think the old one was pretty accurate (at least compared with IRL), my recent rise to 12k / 13k (old ranking) was due to a few good games. But the value just before (15k on the old ranking), was pretty accurate.
However, 9k (new ranking) is for sure way too high.

3 Likes

What does “compared to IRL” mean? What RL ranking are you comparing to?

9 Likes

I am 9k FFG (france). I used to be 9k OGS and stable, now 4k and going down quickly.

CGS, no need to mention, it’s sanbagging heaven.

KGS I used to have a 5-6k account but somehow now I have difficulties at 7k.

It’s the same rank mess as before for me :smiley: But I was 4k for a day, I guess it’s positive…

EDIT: bots however are overrated and help in making OGS ranks weird. (I lost to a human down to 5k but I could go back to 4k by playing a bot)

4 Likes

Based on handicap stones EGF-ranked players gave me. Back in the good ol’days when you could still play in person. :smile:

I’m not officially ranked, but the opinion of the officially ranked players was that I was around 15k.

EDIT: I’ll give it a bit of time though. I’m sure it will go back to DDK.

Aaarrrgh! Yes! Make them bring it back, please!

Flovo already made a PR for it, I’ll get it merged and deployed in the morning

7 Likes