2021 Rating and rank adjustments

I just looked at your profile and I cannot see anything extraordinary, @Jigglefish, you seem to be improving at a slow (faster than me though :wink:) but steady rate, currently 11k.

1 Like

Is this ā€œdownā€ as in changed to a smaller number? I donā€™t know what timescale is meant by ā€œjustā€ but I guess thatā€™s the effect of the adjustment.

1 Like

Thatā€™s just one side of the coin.
Looking at the chart after the change doesnā€™t help because itā€™s pretty consistent by itself.
Nonetheless itā€™s very different from before!

My new chart says Iā€™ve never been DDK, while I clearly remember the time when I was struggling between 10k and 9k.

I did a before/after chart for Through the years tournament. The overall result seemed to be a shrunk interval: kyus gained rating while high dans lost some. But there where also individuals that were moving in the opposite direction.

Itā€™s post #420 above.

Here is an updated chart about rank evolution in the pool of players from TTY tournament:

Rank distribution itā€™s a sort of Gauss curve. The blue curves are before rating adjustment. The yellow ones are after. Thereā€™s a clear shift toward higher ranks.
The distribution is now narrower and taller and itā€™s average moved from 10k to 6k.

(just donā€™t mind the spike at 1d, which is a minor issue in converting ratings to ranks in the API)

7 Likes

Oh, that ā€¦ yeah, I totally ignored that.

So ā€¦ please check this thread, @Jigglefish:

1 Like

Thanks for the input teapoweredrobot and trohde.
The timescale of ā€œjustā€ means that very day of the post. I did of course notice the announced bump earlier this year, I went from ~20k to ~12k. But on the day I posted my rank seemed to have gone back to the ~20k range, as did my history and my opponents ranks.

It is back to ā€œnormalā€ now so I guess itā€™s fine. I was just wondering if there was a reversal of the updated ranking system and with no proof I guess I just sound like a crazy person here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™m no expert but maybe some kind of cookies/refresh issue. Did you use a different device by any chance? But anyway if itā€™s sorted then all good!

3 Likes

Definitely not to meā€”I just realized in which thread I had replied ā€¦ and that I linked to this same thread :laughing: :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

After the update and the dust settles, weā€™ll followup with a more complete mapping between OGS and the various organizations and servers we have data for. If you havenā€™t already, or if your ranks have changed recently, please take a moment to provide your rank information so we can build the best possible rank conversion table.

Sorry for bumping this thread but has the dust settled yet? Did I miss the post on the updated mapping? I canā€™t seem to find information on whether this new rating system met the goals it was trying to achieve or an updated rating chart across servers/organizations.

8 Likes

Nope

Dust can take a long time to settle around these parts :wink:

Thanks :slightly_smiling_face: timing felt good, might be just what it needed!

8 Likes

Please could you clarify: is an adjustment made for how much a handicap stone is worth in terms of ranks on other board sizes, and if so, what is it? Thanks. :pray:

Flovo answered this:

I understand that the handicap is measured in terms of rank difference but will be represented by a combination of stones and komi on smaller boards.

1 Like