2022: HOLD MY TEA! 🍵

2 Likes

No wonder they can support the continuation of such an immoral institution. They thinks it’s actually a chef training academy.

1 Like

I heard US prisons are so bad people who run them should be in them.

Ha, Ben Finegold also notes that

1 Like

Oh, this looks like a cool game.

It’s not that bad with highlighting, hm.

1 Like

Interesting document indeed. This is the first analysis that I’ve seen that seems thorough and professional. I take a little bit of an issue in that, then again, they just stated instances of likely cheating by Hans but without examples or evidence. I’m inclined to believe they are telling the truth but didn’t include it so as not to make the document even longer.

They did explain their methodology though (within reason), and after reading the document I do not think they have a motivation to lie. So I’m led to believe a few things:

• Hans cheated online as late as 2020 (while being a teenager). He has admitted so, however, not to its fullest extent. I don’t think it’s good for his case to tell half truths, but :person_shrugging:t3:

• Probably, Hans has not cheated since caught, either online or OTB.

• Magnus is full of it, but he’ll never apologize.

• Chess.com covered their own asses by banning Hans. That is the thing about the document, it still feels that they didn’t care about preemptively punishing Hans without strong evidence a priori. Maybe they weren’t told to do it by Magnus himself, but were still, say, pressured by (unfounded) complaints of numerous GMs and by the controversy online.

...that isn't a good excuse.

It seems that chess.com did exactly this (among other much more sophisticated things). I feel a little bit vindicated that my irrelevant post on an obscure forum wasn’t completely ridiculous hehe.

1 Like

Nice timing for chess com to produce that report… Anyway…

in our view there is a lack of concrete statistical evidence that he cheated in his game
with Magnus or in any other over-the-board (“OTB”)—i.e., in-person—games.

So we wait for FIDE for a real analysis.

2 Likes

For a real analysis of Magnus’ behavior.

Honestly, what a repulsive country. Vomit-inducing.

1 Like

I don’t want to judge the country as a whole. On the one hand there are the Russians who are brainwashed, fully believing Putin’s stories, but on the other hand there are the Russians who are not, such as these veterans:

Even with brainwashed Russians: it’s easy to condemn them, but I honestly don’t know if I could resist if I was in their position, hearing only Putin’s stories 24/7 while being deprived of more independent news sources.

7 Likes

When the war started, one of the possible explanations raised in French newspapers was “Putin needs to provide a distraction, so Russians stop thinking about how bad the economic situation of Russia is, right now”

Does anyone know if there something going wrong with the Life in 19x19 forums?

1 Like

Oct 6, 2022 Kirby: I contacted Adrian about this, but haven’t got a response, yet. For admin type things, we have some backups, but for technical issues like this, it’d seem our bus factor is still one. We’ll have to wait for Adrian, because he is the only one with access to the server files and db.

Oct 5, 2022 JoazBanbeck: It is down again. All attempts to login appear to be met by a notice that the user’s IP has been banned - regardless of IP.

Source

2 Likes

There’s been gossip, and legalese, and popcorn, and wiretapping, and royals, but this one has it all.

Seen on Facebook. I suppose it’s about current energy prices in Europe:

11 Likes

America doesn’t set as good an example as they should though: "If we have to use force, it is because we are Russia; we are the indispensable nation. We stand tall and we see further than other countries into the future, and we see the danger here to all of us.’ Except it wasn’t Russia and Sergey Lavrov, it was America and Madeline Albright. Even if you’re unhinged enough to agree with that propaganda, the Pakistani’s literally begged the US to do something about Saudi based terror groups but where constantly ignored to the point of mockery—until 9/11. So much for standing tall and seeing farther into the future than other nations to see the danger other nations don’t.

1 Like

Do you get a holiday?

2 Likes

I read that Lukashenko gave Putin a tractor for his 70th birthday.

I don’t know what that gift is supposed to mean, but I can’t help thinking that it’s somehow related to those pesky Ukranian tractors hauling Russian equipment half a year ago.

5 Likes

Of course, it wouldn’t be a holiday.

Tractors are just Belarussian thing, like pandas and China. Belarus has potatoes and tractors.

Anyway, I was watching Shibano Toramaru and Iyama Yuta relaying the game. And look at how Iyama places stones. Toramaru places them normally. But Iyama’s movements are very deliberate, with timing, pretty to look at. He should be an anime villain. Aristocrat in glasses.

3 Likes

I now read that neither Lukashenko nor Putin uses the internet much, and those Ukranian tractor memes are mostly a thing in the West only, so this could be a case of Lukashenko undermining Putin through ineptitude rather than malice (as someone on Reddit put it).

I suppose many here are familiar with memes like these

1 Like
1 Like

From what I can find, OANN seems to be a pretty dubious news source.

The channel is known for promoting falsehoods and conspiracy theories

Source: One America News Network - Wikipedia

2 Likes