2022: HOLD MY TEA! šŸµ

Teaching in 2022

10 Likes

I dreamt that I was sleeping but the noise kept waking me up.

Have you seen Tom Scottā€™s video?

3 Likes

anything that can be copied by Ctrl+PrntScrn can be copied

2 Likes

As stone_defender pointed out there is no way to really secure it. But some protection can be had when you save a pdf - may depend on the tool you save with. Open Office Writer for example has several options when exporting to pdf.

Very rude but whatever, glad you loved it.

Americans thinking ā€œVan Goghā€ sounds like ā€œVan Goā€ā€¦ :roll_eyes:

At least the British are equally wrong with ā€œVan Goffā€ā€¦ :roll_eyes:

Suprisingly, all first five videos for the correct pronunciation on youtube give me more Anglo-Saxons butchering the name, hereā€™s how itā€™s supposed to sound:

Extra tidbit: You can write Van Gogh, or you can speak about mr. van Gogh or Vincent van Gogh. But donā€™t write Vincent Van Gogh, it looks weirdā€¦

7 Likes

Thanks to the Oranje, Iā€™m pretty advanced in pronouncing names.

1 Like

Itā€™s not like heā€™d answer anyway.

6 Likes
1 Like

As an American, I feel like I would come off as too pretentious (and even pedantic) if I insisted on pronouncing it in the correct Dutch way, or if I corrected others when they say it in the typical American fashion.

I think that there is at least an order of magnitude more Americans saying it incorrectly than Dutch speakers with the correct pronunciation.

4 Likes

I always put a lot of effort in making sure Iā€™m pronouncing peopleā€™s names correctly, or at least as correctly as I reasonably could. Perhaps it is pretentious but Iā€™ve mainly noticed that in my field of study, everybody seems to try their best, and I suspect it seems a bit silly if someone doesnā€™t know how to pronounce a name (up to the point that some people will interrupt to teach the correct pronunciation). Apart from that itā€™s also just fun to learn how to pronounce names like Łoś, Todorčević, HrbĆ”Äek or Moschovakis in the original Polish, Serbian, Czech or Greek.

But I can certainly see how there are more people pronouncing Van Gogh incorrectly than correctly. It just seems incredibly silly to any Dutch speaker to make a pun based on the incorrect pronunciation of the name. Like someone pronouncing Real Madrid as if the first word was English.

But itā€™s definitely the American way, with how you pronounce Los Angeles, New Orleans or Manhattan.

6 Likes

Perhaps the main problem is that if you pronounce van Gogh correctly in front of non-Dutch people, nobody will understand who you are talking about (or maybe they will think you are talking about von Koch).

6 Likes

I wonder how many of us actually pronounce (i)go correctly. Or weiqi. Or baduk (dwyrin grinds my gears because he butchers it lol).

I will try to not interrupt someoneā€™s train of thought or make them feel uncomfortable, but if thereā€™s an opening Iā€™ll squeeze in an ā€œactually, itā€™s pronounced Xā€.

4 Likes

You mean this joke doesnā€™t work?

Todayā€™s football results:
Real Madrid: 1
Imaginary Madrid: āˆš-1

14 Likes

I recently taught myself how to read/pronounce Ancient Greek because I wanted to be able to read the Revelation of John in the original :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It works only if you write it down, though. :wink:

1 Like

In your joke, I read
Real: as intented in the joke, English pronunciation in my head
Madrid: as in Spanish, heard by Spanish people saying it
1: Ī­Ī½Ī±.

:exploding_head:

3 Likes

#polyglotproblems

3 Likes

I donā€™t see any reason to try to pronounce things correctly, at least for languages that are significantly different. First of all, a lot of the time itā€™s basically impossible because other language just works differently. Second, if you can, it often breaks the flow of the speech because you need to switch to that language and then back. So when I speak English Iā€™m gonna pronounce my native things closer to English version because itā€™s easier. Third, who cares if everyone understands what youā€™re talking about.

Iā€™ll never travel to another country but if I did for anything serious Iā€™d probably try and just come up with a version of my name that would be easier to introduce myself with there. I mean, imagine Japanese, thereā€™s no point in event trying.

By the way, we did for country names. In English whoever calls Japan or China or Germany or Russia or however many countries the way theyā€™re called inside.

5 Likes