2022: HOLD MY TEA! đŸ”

If you shared that in a non-Go forum, I really wonder what would people think/imagine from the “Recognising an Eye” bookmark :innocent:

I have to say that I am having trouble understanding the problem some people have with how OTHER people identify and en-gender themselves 
 how is that someone else’s business is beyond me.

You meet someone for the first time, you greet them with the gender they seem to have. (that’s fair since you only have visual data for the greeting)
If they are ok with that, all’s well, you probably got it right.
If they tell you “please refer to me as this gender”, you do the polite and reasonable thing and use that and all’s well.
In what world is it considered polite or reasonable to ignore someone else and go “nah, I’ll call you whatever I like”?

This is bizarre to me
 why not show some respect to the people you are talking to?

1 Like

Regardless, doesn’t seem to be very funny.

It is what it is but over here it’s common with nicknames. It’s gotta stick, and most of the times they’re given not assumed. Like one person from highschool wanted to be Vasya but he just didn’t look like one, it just didn’t work, and yeah, everyone called him Sergey because that’s his name, and he looked like his name. Not that he insisted much. So it’s kind of social negotiation.

And let’s not forget that the way you call someone when they’re present and not are often very different, heh.

What’s more bizarre to me is that people want these things to matter. Ok, nicknames can be insulting. But pronouns? In what world does it matter if I call you he instead of ze? It should matter less, not more. But noo, let’s make every little thing matter. Politeness levels in languages are annoying too. Whatever’s going on in Japanese with them should be rethought. Because it just divides people, like oh, I gotta use respectful language because you’re so much better than me, creates unnecessary boundaries. In Russian it’s milder but still noticeable. Too bad it’s not gonna be fixed in my lifetime.

1 Like

To me it’s funny because the slogan “stop gender!” doesn’t make much sense and it even hints at opposing gender distinction, which is probably not at all what they intend to say.

It would be similarly funny if climate change deniers would protest with signs saying “stop climate!”, or if antivaxxers would protest with signs saying “stop covid!”.

7 Likes

I actually understand nicknames more, because they are usually making fun of someone actively, so you know what’s going on. You either like the nickname or confront the people that use it, but at least you are getting to the bottom of this. Some people from school still call me a variation of my name and I do not mind it because it is funny and unique.

Pronouns, as you said, are much less important or actively insulting:

So, exactly for that reason, if someone says “look it bothers me when you use pronoun X, please use pronoun Y” what’s the problem with doing so?

With a nickname, if you came up with it and the other person got mad, you might want to stick with it to annoy them. It is childish behaviour and children do that all the time: You made a nickname, someone got offended, now you want to keep using that, because you were the one that made it. :melting_face: but at least it makes some sense in that childish sort of way.

With a pronoun, you never actively tried to offend that person you just met. They are not your friend or your classmate or whatever. So, just use the pronoun they identify as, what’s the problem?

Unless it is something weird and you think they are trolling you ( e.g. bug pronouns - I do not know if they are real) and you think that they are trying to embarrass you, I do not see why someone wouldn’t comply with such a request.

I agree in the sense that they feel weird when you are not that old to use some of those polite forms or not that old for people to use them on you. :thinking:

People calling me “mister” in a shop/queue while I am dressed in a T-shirt and shorts will never stop being funny. :innocent:

Using a pronoun may be a way of saying that you accept a person’s transidentity, i.e. you accept the fact that they may behave like the opposite sex, for instance use the dresscode of the opposite sex. It wouldn’t matter so much if it were socially acceptable for (biological) males to wear makeup and skirts, for instance.

4 Likes

G. K. Chesterton agreed with you more than 100 years ago, which is when this trend started. I can’t find the exact quote at the moment, but he said something to this effect: The only thing worse than the decline of major morals is the elevation of minor morals.

1 Like

The issue with morals that I have, is that much of it is not universal at all. Many morals are highly dependent on culture, which is very different at different places and also changes over time.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah, scrubbing toilets is marginally a better “rite of manhood passage” than some tribes that invented bungee jumping with a rope made of plants, but just barely. There are some army toilets that will make you question the existence of intelligent life on the planet :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want a practical advice in case you do get drafted eventually, whenever you hear about cleaning chores it is VERY important to volunteer first 
 that way you get to choose the chore.

There are three standard bathroom cleaning chores in the army: sponges for the wash-stands and wiping the mirrors and walls, brooms and mops for the floor and finally cleaning the stalls (usually left to the people with the mops).

The later you get on the volunteer list, the higher the chance you get to be last and getting the worst end of the stick (literally). You want to be on the wash-stand crew.

For anything else, never volunteer and pretend that you are barely intelligent enough to speak.
For cleaning though? Always be first in line. ALWAYS!

Edit and P.S.
And never take a shower without wearing plastic slippers. Or use a pillow without putting a towel on it.
Unless you fancy fungal infections that is 

In French, they started writing nouns and adjectives in a politically correct way*, but I find it counter-intuitive and I think that when you want to promote a “feel good” way of doing things, you should avoid causing confusion and frustration.
The language is the expression of unwritten social rules. Whatever we do with the grammar, gender-based issues will not be solved until society decides they must be solved.
I may be biased because I’m too lazy to add exta dots, but I can’t see how this helps with gender issues.

*They use the “median period” eg. “les musicien.ne.s”

ETA
In Greek, some professions don’t have a female version. Mayor is â€œÎŽÎźÎŒÎ±ÏÏ‡ÎżÏ‚â€, man or woman. The word â€œÎŽÎ·ÎŒÎ±ÏÏ‡ÎŻÎœÎ±â€ used to be the mayor’s wife and, when it is used today, it tends to be slightly derogative.
What is more important? To call the female mayor â€œÎŽÎ·ÎŒÎ±ÏÏ‡ÎŻÎœÎ±â€ or to ensure her right to get elected?

1 Like

The correct typography is “les musicien·ne·s” but is not used by the majority of people. It may be considered as an abbreviation of “les musiciennes et les musiciens” that some people may prefer, and it’s part of a so-called “inclusive language” which consists of avoiding masculine terms when referring to a group of people of both genders, and finding feminine equivalents of words which are traditionally masculine. For instance:

• Already in 1958, the general de Gaulle said “Françaises, français, aidez-moi”. Saying “Français, aidez-moi” would have had the same meaning, but de Gaulle wanted to insist on the fact that was talking to everyone, men and women. The current president often uses “celles et ceux” instead of “ceux”.
  • “ministre” ,“maire” used to be masculine nouns. Not so long ago people said “madame le ministre”, but now “la ministre” and “la maire” are both acceptable.
  • new words like “directeure”, “professeure”, “docteure”,

• trying to use neutral terms, like “la personne” instead of “l’homme”, “les droits humains” instead of “les droits de l’homme”.
2 Likes

Oops, true, middle dot. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I hadn’t thought it would become a trend, but in the last years my inbox is full of dotted words, from all kinds of companies, organizations and schools. I guess it is catching.

Are those new pronouns (ol, elils, iel) becoming mainstream as well? Should I start using them in earnest or they are like hashtags, trendy but meaningless?

1 Like

Dotted words commonly appear in administrative documents or job ads (“recrute ingĂ©nieur·e·s”) but are rarely used otherwise, and by no means compulsory. An text from the government in 2017 included the following paragraph

En revanche, je vous invite, en particulier pour les textes destinĂ©s Ă  ĂȘtre publiĂ©s au Journal officiel de la RĂ©publique française, Ă  ne pas faire usage de l’écriture dite inclusive, qui dĂ©signe les pratiques rĂ©dactionnelles et typographiques visant Ă  substituer Ă  l’emploi du masculin, lorsqu’il est utilisĂ© dans un sens gĂ©nĂ©rique, une graphie faisant ressortir l’existence d’une forme fĂ©minine.

which is a complicated way of saying that official documents from the government shouldn’t use median dots.

Concerning the new pronouns like “iel”, they are mainly used by people and organizations which are very politically engaged in favor of gender equality and inclusion of LGBT, but are almost never used otherwise.

3 Likes

I don’t know Russian, but I wonder if feminized words sound silly because you are not used to them, or if particular properties of your language make them sound silly?

In French, the feminized version of â€œĂ©crivain” (writer) is â€œĂ©crivaine”. I heard people criticize that word because it contains “vaine” which is pejorative
 These people didn’t realize that â€œĂ©crivain” contains “vain” which is the masculine forme of “vaine”, and is equally pejorative

3 Likes

That’s a diminutive, a language construct that we also have in Dutch. MĂ€dchen just means “small/young maid”. Somewhat similar as John => Johnny in English. Diminutives are always neutral gendered words, hence “DAS MĂ€dchen” (or “HET meidje/meisje” in Dutch).
Diminutives are very common in Dutch (more so than in German). I heard those are also common in Russian?

1 Like

The language used by unity is c#, a .NET language that can commonly be decompiled, but comments and whitespace won’t be present in the compiled code, so it cannot be recovered by decompilation.
Obfuscation of the compiled code would make it harder to understand the decompiled c# code, but I guess most programmers won’t bother to obfuscate their programs.

2 Likes

Is it the diminutive or the idea that a child is neutral until it becomes man or woman?

I think that was the idea behind the grammar, especially in languages with three articles for nouns.

In Dutch it is the diminutive that makes the word neutral, and in German as well AFAIK.
For example, the woman = de vrouw in Dutch, die Frau in German, both feminine words.
But the diminutives are neutral: het vrouwtje in Dutch, das FrÀulein in German.

But the idea that children are neutral is also present. The child = het kind in Dutch and das Kind in German.

Edit: fun fact, the feminine and masculine articles in Dutch merged into one gendered article de, while German kept separate articles der and die. For most Dutch gendered words, I have no idea if the word was originally masculine or feminine.

4 Likes

[Narration by Sir David Attenborough]

Here, in this thread, we observe again the natural process of meandering that leads the wild denizens of the ogf back into the familiar domain of linguistics

6 Likes