2022: HOLD MY TEA! šŸµ

I donā€™t enjoy being that person, but

:point_down:t2:

Exactly, almost zero discussion there. Very little point to that topic existing, honestly.

How about this one. Thatā€™s pretty freaky.

I tend to like that thereā€™s news updates even if thereā€™s not much regular discussion of the news :slight_smile:

Sometimes itā€™s hard to know what to discuss, sometimes itā€™s hard to commit to read (well maybe not if itā€™s in another language) or watch every bit of news.

But for discussing a game, a game review/sgf upload would probably be better anyway :slight_smile:

I guess more general comments or I supposed screenshots of a particular positions would work well enough in the forums. Guess it depends on how complicated things are.

2 Likes

Medvedev is heating up

ā€œPeople often ask me why my Telegram posts are so harsh. The answer is that I hate them. They are bastards and scum. They want death for us, for Russia. And as long as Iā€™m alive, Iā€™ll do anything I can to make them disappear.ā€

Heā€™s our agent Smith

funny title earns clicks

2 Likes

I know very little about US economy or economics in general, but I can describe what Iā€™m experiencing in the Netherlands.

Recently we have rising prices and rising salaries (especially at the lower end).

Weā€™re having widespread shortages of labour force, raw materials, computer chips and houses for years now (though house prices seem to be stabilizing now, after many years of rising).

The pandemic was a temporary relief for those issues, but they came back strong.

I know that energy became more expensive (partly due to the war), but luckily that doesnā€™t affect me much personally. And I feel positive about the boost it may give to other, more sustainable energy sources.

3 Likes

Mostly rising prices, thoughā€¦

2 Likes

In BC Canada everything is going up. Highest gas prices ever. Housing going up, food going up, labour shortage, service shortage, wages i donā€™t know, Iā€™m retired and my pension isnā€™t going up.

2 Likes

1 Like

Correct. ā€œDas MƤdchenā€ afaik originates from ā€œdas MƤgdleinā€, diminutive of ā€œdie Magdā€. Which is pretty f***ed up, because ā€œMagdā€ today means female servant. The history behind that is even worse: ā€œMagdā€ and then its diminutives only became the German word for girl after the previously used word ā€œDirneā€ had become unusable, because the meaning changed over time from neutrally meaning girl to meaning female servant and then to meaning sexworker. Tells you a lot about sexism in German society over the centuries.

7 Likes

Reminds me of

3 Likes

Fortunately in northern Germany we still have the nice word ā€˜Deernā€™, which has the same roots as ā€˜Dirneā€™ I think but carries no such conotations.

6 Likes

Interesting, because in Dutch ā€œmaagdā€ has gotten kind of the opposite meaning of a (female) virgin.

About neutrality for diminutive words, itā€™s interesting to note that all plural words are in a way considered feminine, using the (f/m) ā€œdeā€ in Dutch and the feminine ā€œdieā€ in German (which only differs in the Dative from the singular feminine ā€œdieā€), as well as having the pronoun ā€œzijā€ or ā€œsieā€

6 Likes

ā€œDeerneā€ is also a Dutch word, but the meaning is slightly different. I think it is an archaic word, meaning a stalwart young women, possibly of lower social class and with perhaps a somewhat stout posture.

I find it strange that virgin in German is ā€œJungfrauā€(youngwoman) and that word is also used for virgin men, right?

4 Likes

Well, in Dutch ā€œjonkvrouwā€ is used for nobility, which is pretty weird as wellā€¦

5 Likes

I have an adjacent question:

In your languages, is king - queen different words like, well, king - queen, or same word in different gender, like rex - regina?

In Greek itā€™s the same word, gendered.

Ī’Ī±ĻƒĪ¹Ī»Ī¹Ī¬Ļ‚ - Ī’Ī±ĻƒĪÆĪ»Ī¹ĻƒĻƒĪ± (vasilias - vasilissa)

Ī†Ī½Ī±Ī¾ - Ī†Ī½Ī±ĻƒĻƒĪ± (anax - anassa, not in use anymore, but etymologically present)

3 Likes

Kƶnig and Kƶnigin. But fortunately we got rid of them long ago!

5 Likes

Note that in English, the masculine equivalent of ā€œQueenā€ can be either ā€œKingā€ or ā€œPrinceā€.

The wife of a King is a Queen. But the husband of a Queen can be either a King or a Prince.

3 Likes