2022: HOLD MY TEA! đŸ”

One common thing I see among nationalist parties in Europe, is blaming the EU for everything that went wrong (in reality or in their perception) in recent decades. In many cases I think it would be more correct to blame other parties in their own country, but shifting blame externally probably gains them more votes, and other parties may not even try to defend the EU and instead also blame the EU, but for other things (because they also see potential to gain more votes). The EU is a useful scapegoat everywhere, as it’s mostly defenseless against this.

It’s almost surprising that in spite of this, EU citizens tend to distrust their national governments even more than the EU.

(red = trust in EU, blue = trust in own government)

1 Like

Loving the countries that don’t trust any authority at all!

3 Likes

@teapoweredrobot
Since I am in one of those, I’ll tell you a “secret” about Greece:
We lie in polls. A lot. :rofl:

I think this is because while the EU is defenseless against people accusing it, the accussations lose gravity when they come from people that are closer and actively harming the population or betraying their campaign promises.

2 Likes

The Netherlands has been reprimanded by the EHCR court for the inhumanity of Dutch life sentences, which are actual life sentences, meaning you will stay in prison until you die, without a chance of parole.
That will probably change now. It looks like there will be a new law that requires a re-evaluation by judges after serving 25 years in prison.
Until now, the only way out of a life sentence was a pardon from the minister of justice, which never happens, because politicians will avoid the risk of pardoning a heavy criminal.

3 Likes

I see on your chart that France and the Netherlands are at opposite corners of the square

The nationalist party is not the only one which blames the EU, the party LFI (far left) also does, and it got a big score at the latest elections.

2 Likes

Meaning that Greeks trust their government and the EU a lot? :wink:

4 Likes

Yes and no, if you pardon the “Yes, Minister” expression.

To explain it a bit, before 2008-2009 and the economic crisis, if you dig up the statistics, Greeks were on the top of the “satisfaction with the EU” polls. A few years later we were at the very bottom.

Being satisfied with the EU at that point was “the cool thing to say”, so they said it.
Fast forward some years, the “cool thing to say” was to loudly proclaim that you are not satisfied, so they said it.
There was no rational process or real belief in either answers, so it was just a “fashionable lie”.
Now it is fashionable to be mistrustful about anything (with the advent of the internet, the country is now filled with “Agent Mulder” and “Agent Scully” wannabes :melting_face:), so they lean towards that in polls.

Same thing goes for book reading. It is not cool to say “I’ve not been near a book since a teacher in highschool hit me on the head with one of those things” so they say they read, quite a bit. Maybe they count supermarket brochures as books? Who knows?

Same thing goes for sex. Oh, boy 
 we once outscored BRAZIL in polls on sex-related matters. :innocent: When you claim to outscore Brazil on sex and you’ve got one of the biggest problems of falling birth rates, you know you are a colossal liar of epic proportions :rofl:

At the end of the day the ancient adage “beware of Greeks even when bearing gifts” is true.

In case people say “polls are inaccurate” I have an example of actual elections where the whole country is participating.
In 25 June 2015 there was a referendum held about one of the economic “deals” we had to go through with EU and our debtors. 61.31% voted NO and the government went ahead and implemented YES anyway (The British government should have taken notes :rofl: ) and afterwards went to elections.

You’d expect that the population would be furious for being tricked and would have voted the government and everyone else that was in favour of “YES” out of parliament, right?

WRONG! :rofl:

September 2015 election results? Government gets re-elected with 36.34% and all the “YES” parties together in the parliament added up to more than 80%, even though a few months ago 61.31% had voted on the exact opposite position. Neat eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

Now this is a bit more socio-economically complex than “saying whatever is cool in the polls” and it might be boring for everyone if I get to explain this, but the bottom line is that no number, no percentage, no “popular opinion” that comes out of this country can be taken seriously or, at least, without a ton of salt and a lot of analysis on whether it is actually true or not.

Black is clearly winning here. White should have played closer to the corners earlier in the game.

1 Like

Only if you assume that komi is 6.5. You don’t know that game’s rules

3 Likes

Are you assuming that I was not the arbiter of this game?

A resident of Volgograd Oblast died trying to shoot a cat. Allegedly. Apparently the gun blew up in his face.

interesting update on the state of bee-ing 

Turns out that the “do-nothing prophet” (aka Self-help Singh) actually is a stand-up comedian. Pretty funny schtick.

3 Likes

Do you or people in general go to university graduation ceremonies? Seems like a boring waste of time, and yet some people go.

2 Likes

To my own. Also for practical reasons, to get the thing in writing.
To very close family, once.
I never understood why it’s a thing to go to everyone’s, I don’t even think it was customary not too many years ago here either.

1 Like

Didn’t exist here when I graduated. Not sure if that changed in the meantime, probably not.

2 Likes

I’ve been to mine and to my sister’s but yes very tedious all in all. Just a money making thing for graduation robe and hat suppliers I think!

1 Like

Same thing for me. I’ve only celebrated PhD theses (mine and others’).

2 Likes

Yup, and I was quite annoyed that they made me travel half the country for a formality.
At least there is no dress code here, so I dressed like a slob compared to everyone else and just got there, got the yellow A4 paper they were handing out and left. :melting_face:

I remember that it was fun for the people that lived closer however.
I mean it is a happy occassion, it is free, so why not enjoy it? :slight_smile: