2022: HOLD MY TEA! đŸ”

When the first lockdown ended at the beginning of summer 2020, the French prime minister also made a speech in which he strongly and explicitly encouraged everyone to go to bars and drink alcohol to boost the economy.

3 Likes

This feels like quite a 2022 story.

c.f. UK PM partying...

3 Likes

Sanna Marin just partied. Boris Johnson partied during a lockdown, which is quite different.

4 Likes

I meant the different partying styles - I know which party I’d rather be at!

5 Likes

Turns out it is not sure that it would be a net positive to even turn it into lush land. Terraforming is quite the complex and interconnected thing:

Oh, come on. Giannopoulos calling the special nightlife of Athens as “cultural centers” is topping the French any day of the week.

You might soon find that Vodka is comparatively safer and more effective (e.g. the opioid crisis) 

Apart from Boris being there (who wants to party with their boss? :face_vomiting:), that seems like a nice setting for people to take out D&D or Go boards and start playing. Sounds neat to me :stuck_out_tongue:

This sounds as smart as “Can I fix my leaking roof by hitting the roof with a sledgehammer?”

2 Likes

It does look pretty similar to the room where we used to party* at new year’s eve after the London Open Go Congress, back when it was held at the International Student House (also, back when traveling to the UK was easy).

* by “party” I of course mean “play one-colour pairgo”.

1 Like

Climate Town is a bit on edutainment side but I still like it.

Russian paratrooper reports about his bad experiences in the Russian army while participating in Putin’s special military operation:

3 Likes

Or perhaps a section for kids and a section without kids, to make everybody happy?
It reminds me that when my son was about 3 years old, he was generally calm in public transport but once we travelled by train and he couldn’t stop crying and we didn’t understand why. Later we realized he had a painful ear infection.

3 Likes

You make it sound as if there was a well-known simple magic method to raise calm kids, and all parents were voluntarily not using it because they loved being screamed at.

2 Likes

Vodka?

4 Likes

In the UK there are “quiet carriages” which amounts to the same thing. Although I think they were actually started when mobile phones were invented.

There was in fact a whole sketch show item about this - Dom Joly, Big Phone Guy
E.g. https://youtu.be/HCgYDsuR2xs

1 Like

Someone made a machine translation of his “ZOV” manuscript into English:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Because of the series of heatwaves, Moriarty has decided to change the lyrics to their renown song Jimmy.

Jimmy won’t you please come home
Where the grass used to be green but has suddenly turned yellow

Today we celebrate six months of the war. Half a year. Remember when war with Finland was only 105 days. Why it had to end up like this? A bunch of psychopaths decided something up there and millions of people will have to live worse lives.

3 Likes

Sycophants mostly. Putin removed everyone who would be willing to tell him “no, this is a bad idea”.

Even now I suspect that the reports going to him are along the lines of “everything is going fine, reports of us doing badly are just Western propaganda”.

Germany’s Chancellor Angela Merkel, rarely one to engage in flights of fancy, finished a telephone conversation with Russian President Vladimir Putin about the crisis in Ukraine, and then, turning to several of her aides, she said that “she was not sure he was in touch with reality.” The Russian leader, she added, seemed to be “in another world.” (2014)

That’s from the 2014 Crimea invasion
 not too much has changed and I’m inclined to believe that he has just gone down the rabbit hole even further.

As a side note, he has apparently named himself a “true historian”, and I would very much like to read his absurd fantasy interpretation of history if he ever wrote a book.

3 Likes

Not yet, but I will tonight.