2023: “Things change, and they don’t change back.”

There’s much intellectual tap dancing in that video but it never actually addresses John Mearsheimer’s specific claims which, although inconvenient, are clear and simple: NATO implied an agreement with Russia that Ukraine would not be invited into NATO, they then broke that agreement. Russia warned the Whitehouse that this was the ‘brightest of red lines’, and that they would trash the place rather than allow the encroachment of a foreign power on their border. The warnings of Angela Merkel and the US ambassador to Russia to not call Russia’s bluff were ignored but it turns out they weren’t bluffing. They did the thing they said they’d do; NATO did the thing they said they wouldn’t do.

~10 minutes in to this however…

…it is claimed that no such agreement was made. [where’s Gia’s little shrug icon]

Not trying to be a dissenting voice here, just looking for a place to put all of this in my simple 9 kyu mind.
Also, I’m not religious, but from the Christian bible (Proverbs 18:17):

“Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight.”

The Western media machine is turned up to 11 as is normal; I just want the facts without “spin” or “narrative”.