2023: “Things change, and they don’t change back.”

Happy 2023 eveyrone!
Hopefully a calm, easy, nice, happy, prosperous, healthy, stress-less year.

[Voluntary stress (eg Go games) accepted]

7 Likes

I’m several comments in, and still have no idea what it’s about. ADDED: oh, I guess it’s just about the year being new? Just an illusion caused by our calendar…

4 Likes

My longest game according to gotstats was 3 years 2 months 13 days 14 hours 57 minutes 13 seconds but that game was abandoned by my opponent, and because it was a friendly game I had paused it for a long time until I lost my patience.

My “real” longest game, i.e. orderly finished and (I don’t remember) won or lost, definitely went longer than two years. And IIRC a few of my current games are already over the two-year mark also :smiley:

1 Like

Changed the title by switching the point to a question mark.
I met bunch of people who would not agree with the assertion so i think it will be more inclusive to put it as a question. For example Buddhists.

1 Like

Seems Swiss are profiting from a war again~

5 Likes

Source: https://uk.the-mousetrap.co.uk/

1 Like

I think we should leave the title as the creator intended, and express our difference in opinion in the discussion.

1 Like

This thread title changes and changes back regularly it seems.

3 Likes

Well, so far so good for this year.

Maybe we should keep a tally, like

Days since
last incident
:zero: :zero: :three:

(three digits too optimistic?)

6 Likes

Not if you change the label to say “Minutes since last incident” :stuck_out_tongue:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/03/health/covid-variant-xbb-explainer/index.html

what’s with the XBB.1.5? If they keep this up the variants will have the same naming rules as computer monitors O_o

3 Likes

Technically, this is about December, so that’s 2022’s problem (and we already know that guy sucks, am I rite).

The projections are indeed about this year, but have not yet come to happen, so I won’t reset the board just yet.

SARS-CoV-T800 soon coming

5 Likes

Thanks, @groin,

but I changed it back—and thus created what only seems to be a paradoxon :smiley:

IMHO the title is “inclusive” as it is, because it doesn’t exclude anything or anyone; the only exclusion is moving back in time, which only is possible in our imagination—and there everything is possible, of course, even the impossible.

We cannot stir the oat milk back out of the coffee or tea. All we can do is add more coffee or tea, so as to dissolve the oat milk more and more.

We cannot call back words we said. We cannot “undo” mistakes. What we can do is to try to make amends, and to make better mistakes next time. Sometimes we can learn to compensate, and sometimes we can appreciate the compensation more than the “undisturbed” situation before.

An example:
In one of my former lives, when I was young, in the 1970s, I used to frequent a large village discotheque and shake my body, show “mating behaviour” and all that :smiley:

There was another guy who also often was there, always standing at the bar, never on the dance floor.

Then, suddenly, he we away for half a year. I learned that he had had a motorcycle accident … and lost one leg.

Then, some day, he returned to that (famous) discotheque. With only one leg, and with a crutch.

And he went straight to the dance floor—and danced, with only one leg, and with a crutch. He swayed his body around, and he had such a happy face.

I must add that the following was just my impression, but in that moment it seemed to me as if he enjoyed his body, his EXISTENCE, much more than he had done before.

“Overcompensation”?

And I will strike out the “feel free to change the title […]” part in the OP because meanwhile I believe there exists no better title for this thread :smiley:

<edit> Also, because it is a quote, and we aren’t supposed to change quotes to our liking. … as @Lys will remember. </edit>

<edit 2> Sry, had to edit again b/c the story about that motorcyclist was unfinished. </edit 2>

5 Likes

2023: “Can I have an undo, please?”
trohde:

2 Likes

Please don’t add an undo button for 2023, because I am 110% sure 2023 will use it to undo the wrong things just because it can. :woman_shrugging:
“I never said I’d be a good year for apple trees, I never said I’d bring nice weather on your weekend trip, I never said you’d get a promotion, I never said your taxes will not increase, I never said your game will improve” etc etc etc

3 Likes

There is no way to know why he did it, but my guess would be different from yours.

This story doesn’t evoke overcompensation to me at all. It makes me think about what we have and how fragile it is. And what we can do with what we have.

I imagine that when he had his accident he suddenly realised “It’s very possible that I might never be able to dance again”. And when it turned out that he could dance, with a crutch, he realised how important dancing was to him. And he cherished every opportunity of dancing that he still had.

1 Like

Yes! But exactly that’s my interpretation also — while formerly (and assumedly) he did NOT appreciate it as much as later.

Therefore … compensation for the loss, but … even something more.

But yeah, “overcompensation” probably is the wrong word, because, AFAIK, usually it is meant as being something with a negative effect.

Unless there is an invitation to change it.

1 Like

Well, i put myself as the defender of people who don’t think your sentence is truth although i would be more on your side as their side.
That’s not anecdotical as they do feel the reverse in a quite intimate way like the water mixed with milk will someday become water and milk again and that the words you said will just vanish and the silence will take place again.
You can lose a leg but if you believe in reincarnation that can be just an anecdote in one of your life.

1 Like
1 Like