22K uhuuu! :) - And some sad news about discouragement

I don’t know if this works for you, but maybe playing with someone a bit weaker and explaining things to them for a game or two might change up your mood? By showing another person we usually get a satisfaction of how well we really have understood some things that we are now able to pass on. So, you may see your achievements with new eyes, or see new challenges ahead. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agreed! One must also learn other aspects of the game.

That is interesting. I think my main strategy to win against Leela is exactly that. Trying to connect all my handicaped stones.

How sweet, thanks Kaworu. That means a lot to me. In the end, in the bigger game of life and death, it is these small connections of friendships that the game is about.

I know, Benjito. I hope I didn’t disrupt anything. We are all humans, susceptible to mistakes. It is water under the bridge now. My best!

1 Like

I like that approach. It has its merits and makes you want to try new things, even at the cost of a game.

I guess they are, yes. And that was the motive I was happy to finally drop from 5 handi to 4. It was automatic.

Exactly. Funny that after this post I decided to challenge an open game with handicap here, and I won against a stronger player. Probably because I was a lot aggressive towards the opening.
(if you are interested, I can share the link to the game)

We learn more from our losses, that is real. In GO I find it much more difficult to pinpoint what moves went wrong.

The most important thing is for your moves to have a plan, some kind of intention… if this plan succeeds well for you, then that is fine. However, if this plan succeeds but it is not well for you, or this plan fails for some reason, these are the places you can learn or grow.

Without a plan, growth is difficult.

If you can say clearly “this was my plan” then a stronger player can tell you why it was not ambitious enough (where you could have asked for more) or why it failed, either through poor direction, reading, or execution.

4 Likes

Don’t give up, it is just part of the learning process.

I believe this will help you. You should find what brings you more joy. Find your motivation. Think deep and ask yourself: “What gives me satisfaction when playing GO?” (Is it the company, the pass-time characteristic, the sensation of victory or the implementation of a plan - even when it fails).

Find your passion and go with it.

1 Like

That is great advice. I can use it in my current game. I had a plan to disconnect two of my opponent’s groups, but it failed. But anyway, I had a plan. :slight_smile:

The game is not finished yet, but when it is, I’ll look for those places to learn from.

3 Likes

This is

Not an

Email chain

You can reply in a single post

3 Likes

No kidding! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Thanks a lot.

He is a bit crazy on the opening theory, but that is just part of the fun. What is your nick there?

Go is a competition of minds, a competition of ideas, but not a competition between a person and an algorithm.

That’s what Go is to you, but your feelings are not universal. Go isn’t any kind of competition to me. It’s about learning: understanding the game, and understanding myself.

If someone wants to play against a bot, then Go means something different to them than it does to you.

11 Likes