3k for many years

I started playing go since 1997. I am now 3k in ogs. I am stable at this rank for many years. I am looking for help from stronger players in understanding my weakness.

I prefer live game advice.

6 Likes

I can’t help you but you post reminded me of this one about the “3k wall”. No idea if the comments are of interest and no one really followed up with other but here it is.

2 Likes

I see that bugcat broke through the wall.
ScreenShot_26_09_2022_08_18_25

1 Like

A video that might be of interest: [How to improve at Go] Hwang In-seong 8 dan's 2022 Congress lecture series vol.3(The last) - YouTube
In a nutshell, if you are stuck at some level, try to break your habits, change your style in order to encounter new types of board positions.

5 Likes

6uu1jw

1 Like

I’m not that much stronger but i did have a look on the beginning of the game.
My first impression is that sometimes you play moves with too less thinking going in some bad direction. Maybe play more simple with moves you do understand. The AI review is quite helpful.
From the very few i watched, improving your reading (with a regular pratice of tsumego) could bring better assesment of position as you have some consistency on shapes and such already.

I hope you get higher advices anyway.

1 Like

Interesting! Hadn’t heard of this phenomenon!

When I first began playing many years ago, I also briefly hit a ‘wall’ around 3k. From what I recall, what helped me was dedicating more focus to each game, and improving my specific weaknesses – thin shape I tended to leave.

It involved putting myself into uncomfortable situations for my playing style at the time – essentially what @jlt posted –

— and perhaps generally solidifying my whole board vision and fundamentals, to play more ‘solidly’ (more consistently choosing larger points, stronger shapes I felt or had an awareness were stronger choices but hadn’t always consistently chosen, reading more deeply) overall.

Probably much of this can apply at any level, though.

Certainly focussing/considering each move more, and placing oneself in unfamiliar board positions or making different style choices which can help encourage playing differently in areas where one is weak, can always help one improve. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Every player sooner or later gets stuck at a certain level, be it 3k, 7d or whatever.

6 Likes