I’m looking for an SDK team to play a new team tournament format against the members of “Levvo’s Corner.” If anyone is interested we could just form a team comprised of the first 8 people to show interest. The format is very interesting, one I’ve used in other sports (notably billiards) to create interesting team competitions in a sport that is normally 1v1.
The format is as follows:
Two teams of 8 players each will rank their players from 1 to 8. They will then play a seeded double elimination tournament involving all 16 players. During this tournament, they will also schedule a game against their corresponding opponent (for example, the 5th ranked player will play the 5th ranked player on the other team in a single game).
The winner of the double elimination tournament will receive 7 points for their team
The runner up will receive 5 points for their team
The third place player will receive 4 points for their team
4th place will receive 3 points
The two 5th place players will receive 2 points
The two 7th place players will receive 1 point
Each challenge match won will score 2 points for the winner’s team
The total points available for grabs = 25 points for the top 8 finishes in the tournament + 16 points up for grabs in the challenge matches = 41 points
So… 21 points means a win.
The best things about this tournament are:
- Teams can have more than just 3 players
- Players are guaranteed more than just 1 game (even losing all your games will result in 3 games)
- The tournament can also work with multiple teams, with only minor scoring adjustments
- The weakest players on each team can still contribute by either winning their challenge match to get 2 points or beating an opposing player in the elimination tournament. Even if they’re not in the top 8 at the end of the tournament, they still contribute!
Downsides to this tournament:
- Can be somewhat longer than most tournaments
- Doesn’t really work if there are more than 4 teams, or more than 16 or 32 players