A specific way to play the game

Imagine this pair of Go games: The 2 sides both [play black and white 1 time per color] and [add the score for both their colors]. Whoever has more [Chinese score] wins. The color swapping is done to guarantee fair scoring regardless of what the correct value for komi is(Probably 7 komi on a 9x9 or 19x19). The game is 1 move per day, and any plans are mentioned in shared variations to minimize strategy blind spots. Furthermore, this a so-called ‘cyborg match’, meaning that both sides can get advice from AI software. Why stop there? You can get advice from anyone or play on teams. The goal is to cooperatively try to understand good Go rather than trying to win(win anyway though). To maximize potential insights, hours of gap between the time observing [the opponent’s move and all the game-tree variations your opponent has gifted you] and the time finalizing your move and shared variations. Both players get unlimited undo ability. Does anyone fancy a pair of Go games? Tell me. I offer to the first person who agrees at least 1 ‘Monte Carlo’ style game-tree branch per turn where I play both colors to an endgame. The offer may change through further negotiations about the pair of games.

3 Likes

Can you please explain this further?

5 Likes

EDIT: Well, for any komi, the scores for player 1(who played 2 games) will be White_Board_1+Komi and Black_Board_1. The scores for player 2(who played 2 games) will be White_Board_2+Komi and Black_Board_2. The difference in score is (White_Board_1-White_Board_2)+(Black_Board_1-Black_Board_2); because both players get komi, komi disappears in the score difference which is used to determine victory.
Another way to look at it is that both players get the first move advantage.

1 Like

Agree with @Maharani. Just don’t get it.

You get two teams of two players. In each team, one Black player and one White player. They play one game each (black 1 versus white 2 and vice versa).

When both games are finished, count the scores. For each team, sum the score from both players (black 1 + white 1 and black 2 + white 2). The team with the higher score wins.

• No need for komi (every team has one black player and one white player).
  • No early resignation except if the whole team resigns.
  • Interesting strategical considerations, heavy counting needed.

A very interesting idea, I’d play a game. You seem to suggest that players from each team can communicate and exchange ideas, but I think this is a bad idea (if you do that, both players pay both games, and only the stronger player really plays).

5 Likes

I view it how you described, except as a 2 player game (where both players play both white and black) than a 4 player game with teams. My view is basically your view where all parties team up with one’s self playing a different color. This could be extended to having 2*n players per match for arbitrary positive integer n by having 2 teams size n.

1 Like

Could you… explain this further

1 Like

To play it as you describe, you don’t really need teams. One player can play black in one game and white in the other. The number of boards and the number of players do not need to be the same.

So it’s just a standard team consultation game, except with many games at once.

I found the version without team communication more interesting, because you have to watch and count your partners’ games to take a decision.

2 Likes