A strange new variant

What’s chess? Is that some niche game? This is a thread of go variants???

2 Likes

I resisted earlier, but wanna hear a funny story :stuck_out_tongue:?

3 Likes

Mirror Go still a valid strategy

https://lichess.org/83JwqLpTTWUx

3 Likes

Just now being notified of this thread. I think this variant of go is stupid. I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation of the number of patterns (ignoring symmetries) and the depth of strategy, and found that these are surprisingly small numbers as compared with standard go on a 19x19 board. And even if you compare with an 8x8 go board, I’m not impressed that the complexity of the pieces and their rules buy you anything of interest. I think, played this way, this game surely will die out in a year or two.

8 Likes

You totally had me still even this far:

:man_facepalming:

4 Likes

I had the same bug. I lagged at like 100ms, and despite my stone was clearly between the 4th and 5th line, the game still removed it when opponent moved between 3rd and 4th! I think the hitboxes and the textures are calculated separately on the server. I like fresh initiatives like this, but they really have to hire some devs, who know what “a singular source of truth” is.
I don’t want to be negative, but I’m pretty sure that the “easter egg” is just an overflow error caused by reindexing the lines from 9 to 8.
I don’t recommend it yet. Maybe in some years they will get their marbles together, but this is not even enough for an alpha test yet!

6 Likes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomato

5 Likes

Recently* someone constructed a nice basic ladder exercise for the new variant:

For an appropriate definition of “recently”
Yet another chess problem database

10 Likes

Remi Coulom just released a new version of GoGui, now with support for variants with moving pieces! Surely the AI:s can’t be that strong yet though?

8 Likes

Nuclear Tesuji

2 Likes

I added this variant to govariants.com!

The development community around this variant is surprisingly large, and there are a variety of implementations I was able to borrow from. A good thing too - IMO the rules of this variant are too complicated compared to standard Go, and I wouldn’t have wanted to implemented it myself :sweat_smile:

6 Likes