A treasure map for go pirates

Are you a pirate?
Then this is your treasure map.

And as always X marks the treasure.

images

Good hunting!

What collections are suited for my level? (Level - collection matrix)

5 Likes

I opened the Dan level problems and was seriously confused by what is supposed to be the solution of the first problem. Can anybody explain to me why this is wrong?

I do prefer your option as the one proposed ( no ko at least…)

Still have to be sure white can live…

1 Like

I had to give white some extra stones elsewhere.

The “solution” is like a 30 point mistake on this board.

2 Likes

This problem (#6/900) in the “Elementary” Cho Chikun collection does seem like the appropriate level for 21k:

But at 8k, I find many of the later problems impossible. The third move of #45, for example, is extremely unintuitive for me:

I wonder if I’m just relatively bad at puzzles (relatively good at actual games).

each player has his own weaknesses You can be strong earlier at not seeing lack of liberties (especially if you have a little bit of training) so this problem may be hard for you but easy for others. So it can be a good pointer for improvement, last step being to get the adequate problems…

As a moral global answer (which was already debated in another topic) Classification by levels given by books are very often far from the reality, see for example Go problems for beginners vol 3…

Another one that has always bothered me is Sensei’s beginner exercise #2:

Is that kind of thing at all appropriate for a beginner’s second problem?

1 Like

ofc not. there is lack of liberties here too, and that’s far too much for a second problem… :rofl: :rofl:
Now the research tree is not large and neither deep, but that’s surely for a bit later…

1 Like

In my personal opinion, this is a very good problem to practise visualising moves. The difficulty here does not lie in the number of variations to consider - there are only few compared to other problems. The difficulty is visualising the moves and the outcome.

I would not ask someone to solve this problem after they have just learned about the rules. But for someone who has played their first 10 games or so, this might be an appropriate problem.

2 Likes

Forgetting that you put yourself in Atari is a very common feature still at 13k. But Yes one has to try to eliminate this as early as possible. (if possible)

2 Likes

confusing, pirates are bad at go, they never have enough eyes.

2 Likes