About the Go Variants category

There is a consensus around here to ask the author of a thread before taking this kind of decision. Are you above this, a kind of supra moderator?

1 Like

No, I am not above this. What happens when I move your topic to a category where it belongs is that you get a notification about it. If you donā€™t agree, you can change it back (like @yebellz did).
There are unfortunately a great many topics that are dumped in General Go Discussion but actually do belong somewhere else. I replaced some of these topics.
That is all.

Thatā€™s not all. You attribute yourself prerogatives that donā€™t belong to you. You donā€™t respect others doing like this judging by yourself where a topic belongs and moving it without consulting his author.
And you persist to think you have the right attitude.

I think the distinction you made is accurate:

There are indeed topics that fit in multiple categories, which makes things difficult. Ideally categories worked more like tags, such that multiple categories could be attached to one topicā€¦

The Go variants category could indeed be a subcategory of the General Go Discussion category, but I thought the latter wasnā€™t supposed to have subcategories; itā€™s a catch-all category for topics about Go that donā€™t fit in one of the other more specific Go-related categories. For example, tournaments or teaching or strategy topics all also would fit as subcategories of the general category.

I think this would be polite, but not inherently necessary. Iā€™m sure everybody here has good intentions. Iā€™m not

If I were to categorise the how-to and game topics of the Democratic Go game, then Iā€™d put the how-to in the Go variants category, since Democratic Go is basically a Go variant (like Rengo, or Zengo, or Team Go) and Iā€™d put the game itself in the Forum Games category, since the topic is a game played on the forum.

2 Likes

We had discussions on this months ago.
the how to was put in the forum game, and understandably, could now move to the new go variant

the game itself stayed in the go discussion category, because it is at 99% a go game discussion, and it is what is interesting in it.
I find @yebellz to be very nice to come and explain his categorization, after having it changed without discussion by another regular. I didnā€™t do that myself and I do it now (again) as a discussion coming before any change, not after.

Now if the moderation thinks itā€™s not necessary to be polite and ask an author before changing a heading of a thread, I may have some fun myself too after all. What I mean we are here between regulars, itā€™s not like we donā€™t know what we write and our prerogatives. So whatā€™s the point to not discuss, and prone your ideas or choices by ā€œforceā€? How can we even encourage it under the ā€œgood intentionā€ motive?

1 Like

I can remember that we had a discussion about asking first before changing the titles of threads before, not of changing the category, but I may be missing the latter discussion. In any case, Iā€™m convinced @Atorrante had the best intentions when they changed your threadā€™s category, and may also have been unaware of earlier discussion about it or about recategorisation.

I went through the history of the category changes of the democratic game, and it seems that not only Atorrante, but also BHydden (2x) and I myself have, in the past, changed the category of the game thread to Forum Games. In the end, itā€™s a game that is played on the forum, so itā€™s a forum game.

Like I said, the General Go Discussion category is reserved for topics that donā€™t fit in a more specific category:

So, I do really think the category should be forum games: even though it is largely comprised of discussion about Go, so do joseki threads, or teaching threads, etc. The general go discussion thread is not for threads that contain generally a lot of Go discussion, but for threads about Go that are not suitable for a more specific category.

3 Likes

Forum games is a category which is filled by games which are not go games. Many users may discard this category if their interest is more about go as about some other recreational activities.

So you may understand why I feel the go discussion category much more appropriate in the interest of the forum users.

Note that I proposed before to rename forum games to other games, and to create a team go category

So, we could, as a suggestion, split the forum games category into Go games and Non-Go games, then put games that are based on the standard rules of Go (e.g. your thread, the hurt / heal games, Team Go, Guess rank, etc.) in the Go games category, and the rest in the Non-Go games thread.

1 Like

to regroup in a ā€œforum gameā€ is even not necessary.
Most important to me is to distinguish games which do have go content, from other recreational games.

you could have a main category around go (or more as one) and a category about things outside go including general chat, other gamesā€¦

OK, that may be how you see it, but itā€™s not how the current categories are describedā€¦ You see the problem here, right?

Well I could have put another name like go activity, or go studiesā€¦

You can understand the problem to have a running go game which attracts strong players debating on go moves and other players joining the debate, to be relegated between werewolf and Yahtzee.

The categorization let me put it in general go discussion; Now if you think itā€™s more fitted to be in forum games, what can I say?

I remember well to have had a discussion in which were participating other mods and they were no consensus at all around this. My guess itā€™s somewhere buried in the howto thread.

Edit: found some, starting by this post:

100% agree on this. Then if you are looking for something, just filter by tags.

Is this possible with Discourse?

1 Like

Now after debating on my own thread categorization, what if we come back on politeness and attitude between ourself?

What if I change the category of that L&D thread published by @Atorrante from teaching to general go discussion, with goodwill and no bad intention? But without any discussion. I have plenty of reason to do it, but I wonā€™t because Iā€™m not that concerned and because I would first contact him via pm to have a little chat on this.

See, I even donā€™t do it, not my way really and more not the way I think regulars should behave.between each other.