All-in-one democratic go game (how-to)

For the game, click here

(inspired by This answer)

Would you fancy a go game on 19x19 played by poll?

My hope is to launch a very open and huge rengo in which anyone can join. Being white or black at the same time will not matter.

My idea would be to wait each time to get at least 3 different options (one only for each of us) and then open a poll with these to select which to play.

3 would keep the game steady.
Sometimes we could be in situation where only one or two moves would seem to be the only choices possible.
Then a player (who didn’t propose a move) can propose a “no more choice” option to shorten the waiting time.
Then one more player can do the same (or chose a move)
If then only one move is finally at stake, the poll is useless, and the move played. If two moves, a poll with 2 options is open.

Each poll should stay open for not too long but long enough, I propose 24hr so we could hope to finish the game in around a year.

I don’t really know how to host it, need some advices on that. Would a demo board do the trick?
It would be great if:
-anyone can launch each poll (as long as there are already at least 3 different propositions at stake made by 3 different players).
The poll can have more as 3 options but can be started as soon as there are at least 3.
-anyone can update the game after each poll completed.
Like this, we don’t need a coach, the game can keep some steadyness and stay under control by the community.
I greatly could simply keep watching the process to let it go smoothly or sometimes if any consensus, adapting the ruleset to bring the most fun for everyone.

So, interested in the idea? What’s your own suggestions?

7 Likes

I like the idea! :slightly_smiling_face:

We could name it “Democratic Go”. :wink:

4 Likes

19 x 19 will take a long time. People might lose interest before the game is finished. I know I would :slight_smile:
Perhaps 9 X 9 is better?

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if some people lose interest, as long as there are others willing to take over. I would give it a try.

(And I’m just not much interested in 9x9.)

7 Likes

Certainly give it a try. If you don’t try, you never know. Good luck!

4 Likes

OGS did something similar back in 2017: OGS versus Leela. The game chat was used for move discussion, and the person who created the game and input the moves chose the moves generally by majority decision. Move discussion was in the game chat; because of its length, the chat began lagging horribly. The idea was launched in the general chat channel, and participation was comparatively high at first—perhaps about 30 users IIRC. (But you must keep in mind that the number of users in general chat and the Forums is tiny compared to the total number of OGS accounts. I would guess perhaps 200 hardcore regulars.) The participation had dwindled to about 10 (including me) by the time the game creator resigned the game for the humans (prematurely, I thought, but I was only 18k then). I did learn a lot from the discussion, as in any Team Go game where discussion is allowed.

4 Likes

So it’s nice advice to avoid to use game chat because of a risk of lag?
Nice indeed, I was wondering if any similar experience happened before.

Simple question, what would be the best way to handle the game, with a demo board?

In fact I think too that these kind of team play (with discussion) can be great for improving.

We could rule that to propose a move you’ll have to explain it a little bit, so as an incentive for discussion.

2 Likes

There are three Team Go games in progress at the moment, with teams of four including captains who created the unranked games. We use demo boards resticted to the team members for discussion, and when they start lagging, create a new demo board. We also use a Forum message thread restricted to the team members for summary discussions and group communication. Of course, since your proposal would be open to all users, this model could not be used. Based on our experience, however, I would suggest at least a +1.5 days per move time control and/or a weekend pause. Without at least one of these, preferably both, it is too hard to keep up.

I don’t know the ins and outs of demo boards, so I can’t speak to that. Letting people play moves on both sides is odd (like self-play), but the only way to prevent that is to play a bot, or to ask people to refrain from playing both sides (on their honor). On the other hand, playing both sides may be valuable for learning to see the game from both perspectives.

5 Likes

I like this idea and think the rules proposed by the OP sound good.

2 Likes

Nice!

For the very first move I would like a bit of special event.

I would break the 3 moves rules and propose a large variety of moves a game can start with.
So this could be same time a poll of what are some popular ways to open a game on kgs.
This would include the 4 classical corner points, the more experimental ones (4-6 3-6 5-5 2-2) and some in the center (10-10 9-10)
And some more if any suggestions.
Now this would be an exception of the rule for only our first move on the board.
Does this seems right to you? Any other idea?

And what about the name? All-in-one democratic go? Other suggestion?

1 Like

I think we should debate more about the voting system.

Maybe we should have an option in the polls for none of the above in order to continue discussion, just in case all of the nominated choices are terrible.

5 Likes

Interesting idea.
So in each poll we add a choice to cancel the poll.
Then if it succeed what shall we do? Maybe still keep the best of the 3 and ask for contributing 2 new options?

3 Likes

This would work well with the polls being preference voting, I think. I think preference voting would be better for this then only pick one voting, anyway.

1 Like

I’ll play or be a replacement if someone needs one.

1 Like

You’re welcome to play with!
There is no need for replacement, as anyone can come and play (vote), be black and/or white

1 Like

Let’s fix democratically a few last points
Size

• 19x19
  • 13x13
  • 9x9
  • Other,please precise.

0 voters

Rules

• Chinese
  • Japanese
  • NZ
  • Others, please precise

0 voters

Anyone interested please vote, thank you.

1 Like

I will close the polls the 2020-08-31T17:00:00Z and open a new topic for the game itself … And start it, enough Waiting, time to go!

3 Likes

Sorry for voting Chinese, but I dislike Japanese rules more than I like NZD Rules.

2 Likes

Why sorry? You can have your own preferences.

Because (if the poll had still been open; I didn’t notice it was closed) voting for NZD, which I prefer, would have given Chinese a handicap against Japanese.

1 Like