All-in-one democratic go game (how-to)

It’s fine. You can join the game now (if you didn’t already :upside_down_face: ). We have already emerging lobbying for the first move!

2 Likes

Yeah, and it’s Chinese rules. :smile:

I voted for 3-3, but tengen will be fun too.

1 Like

I rewrote the rules for processing the suggestions and votes

Everyone can suggest one move only but it should come with a few words. You can put variations on the game demo record. You can use the chat of the demo too. You can use this topic too.

Please confirm clearly your move suggested here in this topic for convenience.

You play alternatively both sides but if you decide to play one side only, don’t play the other if you don’t try to make it win too.

When 3 suggestions have been made, a poll can be created which include a fourth: “another suggestion”

The poll is closed after 48hrs

Indeed if someone find a move not in the poll, he can still propose it during the poll and people can vote for it too, all by posting answers in this topic.

The move with highest votes( including the votes in the answers for moves not included in the poll) will be played.
In case of tie for first place: A new 24hr poll with only the suggestions in tie is made.
In case it’s still a tie. The move is chosen by luck.

SPEEDING POLL
When it seems that there is only one [2] move[s] to play and in the interest of not losing too much waiting time, a different player as the one[s] who suggested first the move[s] may open a pool with this unique choice[s] only. The poll close after 24hrs or as soon as 50% of the quantity of participants of the poll for the move played before is reached. Only if this quantity is reached and all 100% agree with [one of] the [2] move[s], then it’s played.
As soon as someone disagree (he should propose a new move too), this special vote is canceled and we will be back to the normal process with 3 suggestions.
If after a speed vote, a speed vote takes place again for the next move then the quantity to reach remains unchanged.(meaning it won’t be 50% of 50%)

Please comment and then I will edit for final ver. (Witch will be put in the [game] topic)

For the second move (white 2) I did adjust a bit the poll process, so I think it would be nice to mention it and see if you agree with and at least explain why.

I did put the vote public: this is because I think everyone should take some responsibility in his idea and same time it will make the elaboration of the poll easier.
I did put the result at the closing: this is because I want to avoid imitation process and help players to express their own choice, for example to not blindly follow the suggestions of stronger players.

Besides this, a lot of options are still very open, I myself like the idea of playing both colors, but I have nothing against if some players want to build a team playing a color with some specific plans, why not? It’s up to the crowd to decide that sort of things.

1 Like

I had a hard time finding the game thread, because it’s in the forum games section which I have on my ignore list. It is a forum game of course, but it’s also go, which most of the other games there are not. Not sure what others think, but I’d prefer it here in this section.

3 Likes

I did open it in the go general discussion firstly, but then it was moved (not by me) to that game (not really go) category.
If there is a majority on this point, I can move it back to its original category.

I think it belongs in the Forum Games category, since it is specifically a game being played on the forums.

4 Likes

Same time, it’s a game of go with discussion about go.

3 Likes

That could be said about a lot of things, like threads in the review requests, go resources, strategy and tactics, etc. I think picking the category “Forum Games”, which has more specificity is helpful for organizational purposes and finding it later. The “General Go Discussion” category is like a catch-all for things that don’t fit other categories.

Further, I think some people might want to ignore all “Forum Games”, so keeping it in that category might help those people.

2 Likes

The Forum games category was created for games other than go.

2 Likes

Between the convenience to be found because it’s a forum game and the convenience to be found because it’s about go and to be avoid alas it could be seen as not a game of go, I would rather chose to be in the general go discussion category.

1 Like

The post that launched that category did not seem to indicate that it should be specific to “games other than go”:

I believe @Vsotvep moved the game thread there, and there are various other forum games that revolve around go as well, so it’s not so clear where to draw the line.

I think @Groin can move the thread back to “General Go Discussion” if they wish, however my concerns about that are:

1. It becomes more difficult to locate it as an example of “Forum Game” later on, since it may be get lost among the very crowded “General Go Discussion” category.
  2. Some people might want to ignore all “Forum Games”, including ones that revolve around Go.

Ultimately, though, I don’t feel too strongly about it either way, but I just wanted to share my thoughts.

1 Like

I mean include actual JPEG picture, not just link to demo board with marks
You can draw with red pen, make small browser window and Ctrl+Prnt Scrn, Ctrl+v in Paint

And

isn’t it too long? game will took forever, everyone will be bored
maybe 24 hours for each poll is better, don’t forget about time between polls, when we suggest moves

3 Likes

For the resume of the different choices in the poll, I prefer to keep some easy way myself because

1 I’m on a phone
2 I would like a easy (and prone to be done for each poll) procedure that someone else can handle easily too, if I don’t later.
3 I am not attached on my layout choice, if rounds are better as cross or whatever, I change.
I won’t object of course if you want to manage it in a more nice way as I did, I m very kind to delegate things.

For the time choice I agree it’s hard to decide, I firstly thought about 24hr, then 36hr was suggested by team game player, then the 48hrs for the first move proved to be not a waste of time. If we go quicker we can lose players too I dunno, it stay as open discussion for sure

I’m on some compromise to change to the category go discussion while the game is going on, we may catch more players like this in my opinion, and to recategorize it later as forum game (for better archiving)
Same time, the technical thread can stay in the game cat and the game thread in the go cat.
Would this be optimal?

2 Likes

That wasn’t my intention when asking to create it. It was created so that people can filter out threads that are forum games, since they amass a lot of replies quickly.

It’s also hard to draw a line what is Go and what isn’t. Is the Diplomatic Go game not about Go? If it isn’t, why would Democratic Go be different?

I think either category is fine in the end, sadly there is no way to categorise the game twice.

3 Likes

I enjoy the diplomatic go very much but I think there is no way to compare it in terms of the use of the rules.
More as 2 colors (change a lot about go tactics and theory), managing collision, counting what,… It’s nothing to compare with a game where the only changes is who participate and how we decide which move

1 Like

But the thing is that the rules of Go are altered to make a slightly different game than normal Go. I agree that Democratic Go is closer to normal Go, but it’s not the same. The question is how many of the rules should be changed to make it really a different game.

I’m sure there is a rather smooth way of transitioning from normal Go to something like Diplomacy Go, ever getting more removed from the original game.

• Is Handicap Go really Go?
  • Is Tibetan Go really Go?
  • Is Kill-all Go / Capture Go really Go?
  • Is King’s Order Go really Go?
  • Is Thue-Morse Go really Go?
  • Is SAS Go really Go?
  • Is Diplomatic Go really Go?
  • Is Settlers of Catan really Go?
3 Likes

Replying here about your post in the game thread.
In my opinion I prefer to keep the results of the poll secret until closed (unlike what happened for the choice of the first move).
I wrote a bit before about it: it could provide less imitation or more respect between different ideas, levels of reading, … But now I can see that it could lessen some fun and some “democratic bias mechanism” so I don’t want to steal the pleasure.
Maybe this could deserve a poll, or at least more discussion here?

Or maybe we can organise our own separate Vox Polls, just like in real elections, making predictions

2 Likes